Power Window Installation - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Garage
Power Window Installation

Is it worth it installing power windows yourself? Is it something that is easy to do? Or should I just go get it professionally done?

---------- Post added at 03:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 AM ----------

Or maybe a recommendation to where I can purchase a kit and bring it to someone to get installed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 08:08 AM
Contributor

Garage
I have done this before, it's not easy, but if you have some knowledge and a little patience, it's not too bad either

there are a few ways to do it,

the most seamless, is to get the power window regulators from a car that has them, and wire them up to switches (either the factory or aftermarket)

this would also usually require you buy the doorpanels from the power window car, or else you have a random hole in your doorpanel, but, that will often also get you the factory switches, it doesn't hurt to get the factory wiring harness either

or, you could do what I did on my 96 cavalier quite a few years back

I got a kit similar to this...

http://www.amazon.com/XO-Vision-PW202-Power-Window/dp/B005AQOL5E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346252556&sr=8-1&keywords=2+door+power+window+kit
they work really well, you put the worm gear actuator in the door, and hook it up to the current window mechanism (right where the handle would usually be) and install the switches where you would like them to be (I wired up the OEM switches in the center console) then, you reinstall the door panel, and install the little cap over the hole where the original crank handle was

this method works quite well, and is usually the cheapest way to get power windows in a car that did not previously have them

John
2008 Cobalt LT
SS springs and Stagg struts
Pioneer AVIC-X930BT GPS
Memphis 16-MCH600 "Baby Belle" hybrid amplifier
MB quart Premium 6.5" componant/premium tweeters front
MB quart Premium 5.25 componant/premium tweeters rear
Memphis PR-10" sub in factory sub box

miles and miles of dynamat extreme...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 09:30 AM
Contributor

or you van go the oem route like me (although more expensive prolly around $300 to piece it all together) you need 1 oem master switch for driver, 1 oem switch for passenger and then 1 oem wiring harness for driver, 1 oem harness for passenger. Then get 2 new power window acutators/motors. Then to connect the circuit, run 14ga wire (power, ground, motor functions)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Contributor

Garage
I mentioned the OEM route, it's definately the cleanest option,

but he can do this for under $100

John
2008 Cobalt LT
SS springs and Stagg struts
Pioneer AVIC-X930BT GPS
Memphis 16-MCH600 "Baby Belle" hybrid amplifier
MB quart Premium 6.5" componant/premium tweeters front
MB quart Premium 5.25 componant/premium tweeters rear
Memphis PR-10" sub in factory sub box

miles and miles of dynamat extreme...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 11:10 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jignaczak View Post
I mentioned the OEM route, it's definately the cleanest option,

but he can do this for under $100
your right thats the cheapest and easiest option. BUT oem is better, cleaner, and works 10x better imo
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 06:40 PM
Newcomer

Just find a car in the wrecking yard that has it all. You might even find the wiring is already in the car, you never know. I remember having a 77 plymouth fury sport, I went to the wrecking yard, grabbed the units and the switches and the factory wiring harness. Took me a couple of hours to get it all out and an afternoon to install it all. Even added the power door locks too.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
This way you can also get the proper door panels too. Above you will need patience because it isn't hard it just takes time.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 10:34 AM
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Just find a car in the wrecking yard that has it all. You might even find the wiring is already in the car, you never know. I remember having a 77 plymouth fury sport, I went to the wrecking yard, grabbed the units and the switches and the factory wiring harness. Took me a couple of hours to get it all out and an afternoon to install it all. Even added the power door locks too.
Hey, i'm new on here, and i can not find an installation guide. i have a basic idea as to how to because i did this same (stripped a car in the junk yard for all the parts...so much chearper) but i wanted a guide just incase i can't remember something. do you know where i can find a guide?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Gawd of Thunda!
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SpeedyCobalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderBread View Post
Is it worth it installing power windows yourself? Is it something that is easy to do? Or should I just go get it professionally done?

---------- Post added at 03:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 AM ----------

Or maybe a recommendation to where I can purchase a kit and bring it to someone to get installed?
It's not something easy to do, but if you do it yourself you will save allot of money! The dealers will charge you an arm and a leg, I would take your time and just do it yourself.

2005 Stealth grey metallic 2DR Standard Base Model
2006 Burnt Orange 2DR Standard SS
MY SHOWOFF THREAD

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
I installed a power window kit in my car and in my opinion it wasn't very hard, it took 6-8 hours to install. The downside of installing a power window kit is having the holes in the door panels where the crank was. The kit I used was from ebay, heres the link: 2 Door Power Window Conversion Kit All Makes Universal Fit Switches Motor Crank | eBay the kit works pretty well, compared to a stock power window it is a little weaker/ slower but it opens and closes the windows fine.

2007 Cobalt LS Ultra Silver Metallic 5-speed GMPP Catback Exhaust ZZP header and downpipe Supercharged 77.9mm pulley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode