Remote Starter for Manual Trans - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Remote Starter for Manual Trans

So I want to put a remote starter in my 05 cobalt 5spd. I went to Best Buy and they said they will do it no problem but when they were looking up everything they need to know for the car it came across that the car does not have a Neutral Safety Switch. I went to the local Chevy dealership and asked them about it and they said 5spd cars do not have that they have a thing called Clutch Switch or something like that.
My question is does anyone have a remote starter on their 5spd and if so how did they go about getting it done without any trouble. Any suggestions would be helpful thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Staff Alumni

Theres lots of 5 speeds with a remote start. On my old 1993 sunbird gt, the switch started going bad but it (along with other vehicles i've seen) was just a two wire switch so I just cut out the switch and attached the wires together. This would bypass the problem they are having but it does mean your car can start without the clutch pedal pressed down

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Expert

It can be done, major shops will not install it though. Most the time you have to know someone or do it your self

2009 Imperial Blue Metallic Cobalt SS/TC Sedan - "Stock":
2008 Victory Red HHR SS - Stock
2005 Chili Pepper Red Ion Redline - Stock
2007 Sunburst Orange Metallic LS Coupe - Sold

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 02:54 PM
Expert

Garage
How high was the guy you talked to??
Any new starter is made for an auto or standard. Neutral safety switch is JUST for autos to make sure its in park (or neutral). Manuals use the clutch and the starter looks for a 'ready mode' sequence to tell it the car is in neutral with the clutch out and the e-brake set. Theres no difference in the install besides these two wires...If they say they cant do it, then theyre clearly not compitent enough that you should be having them touch your car at all.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 04:39 PM
Staff Alumni

^ He is right
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoutu View Post
Any new starter is made for an auto or standard. Neutral safety switch is JUST for autos to make sure its in park (or neutral). Manuals use the clutch and the starter looks for a 'ready mode' sequence to tell it the car is in neutral with the clutch out and the e-brake set. Theres no difference in the install besides these two wires...If they say they cant do it, then theyre clearly not compitent enough that you should be having them touch your car at all.

Couldn't agree more...Besides why would you go to best buy?.....EXPENSIVE AF!!!! IMO LOL...the Viper alarm they sell for over $600.00 USD JUST the alarm I paid for the alarm, remoter start module, viper smartstart, proximity sensor, auto roll up/down windows...AND installation xD !!!
Just saying.!..
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoutu View Post
It's not they can't do it, be it has been done before, and I am having mine done in next week. You just have to go to the right shop.

2009 Imperial Blue Metallic Cobalt SS/TC Sedan - "Stock":
2008 Victory Red HHR SS - Stock
2005 Chili Pepper Red Ion Redline - Stock
2007 Sunburst Orange Metallic LS Coupe - Sold

Last edited by blu3_v1p3r; 11-06-2012 at 12:45 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Veteran

Ok guys, So I have good prices on ALARMS and Stereos and speakers kinda everything for sound system / alarm systems .. What ever you guys need let me know I give you a Price and we could make a deal...if you gusy find it shipper where ever u guys are buying...than u buy it there lol.....Sorry if am breaking any rules
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
I have a remote start installed on my 5speed cobalt. The clutch switch you are talking about is the clutch safety switch. It is designed to ensure the car will not start without the clutch being pushed in. All they do is bypass the switch. I had the Chevy dealership near me install my remote start/ alarm system. It was a little bit more expensive but I know the work is done by a professional and its all still under warranty. The catch though is everytime you want to remote start your car, you have to put the car into a special mode before hand. I have to push the key fob, pull the e brake, shut off the car, get out, and then arm the system. If i don't do that ahead of time, my car won't remote start.

09 Chev Cobalt
Injen CAI. Carbon Fiber Stripes/Interior Trim. Shorty Antenna.
Option Racing Catback. Smoke LED Tail Lights. Pwr Locks/Keyless Entry. Rostra Cruise

85 Chev Camaro IROC-Z28
K&N Air Filter. Flowmaster Exhaust. Chrome IROC Rims. Pioneer Deck. Sony Xplod Sub/Amp.
BFG G-Force SuperSport Tires. Viper Alarm/Keyless. Grant Steering Wheel

..Carbon Cobalt Showoff..
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Expert

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3_v1p3r View Post
It's not they can't do it, be it has been done before, and I am having mine done in next week. You just have to go to the right shop.
ANY install shop should be able to do it, its not anything special or difficult. Its just a starter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09_XFE View Post
I have a remote start installed on my 5speed cobalt. The clutch switch you are talking about is the clutch safety switch. It is designed to ensure the car will not start without the clutch being pushed in. All they do is bypass the switch. I had the Chevy dealership near me install my remote start/ alarm system. It was a little bit more expensive but I know the work is done by a professional and its all still under warranty. The catch though is everytime you want to remote start your car, you have to put the car into a special mode before hand. I have to push the key fob, pull the e brake, shut off the car, get out, and then arm the system. If i don't do that ahead of time, my car won't remote start.
The clutch safety switch isnt bypassed, cut, anything. Its a wire used that tells the starter when its pushed in or out. The starter has to see the sequence like you said. Ebrake on, brakes off, and clutch out (open). Without the clutch switch, you could trick the starter into ready mode by running that sequence with the clutch in, then when you start it, it'll take off down the road. You dont bypass anything, its just looking to see its not pushed in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode