Windshield Heater - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Windshield Heater

well its that time of year again (for most of us at least) to make a long story short, back when i worked on tractor trailers when we would plug them in to heat them up we wired a little light into the windshield that would come on to let us know if it was plugged in or not so we could just drive past all the trucks and if the light was on that meant it was already plugged in.

with that being said, that little light in the windshield would keep all the frost off of that side of the windshield so it kind of killed two birds with one stone, because it would eliminate having to scrape the windshield too.

now for my question, is there anything like that for our cars? just like a little light or a small heater that just gives off enough heat to keep ice from forming on the windshield? after having my car set for 10 hours on cold nights by the time i finish work its all froze up and then i have to either leave my car run or scrape the windshield. i want something that can stay on for several hours at a time and not kill the battery. i could rig up a light like we used to do on the tractor trailers but i dont really want a ugly light bulb hanging in my window.

just thought i would ask and see if you all knew something like this that i could buy somewhere.
thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Veteran

I <3 Hollywood California...NO SNOW

Sorry I can't help there hehehehe
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Staff Alumni

I would think anything you hooked up would kill the battery in 10 hrs. They sell stuff at walmart that keeps the inside from fogging up, then all you'd have to do was scrap and drive.

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Prospect

I would say get a remote start system. Set the heat to defrost and your all set.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Staff Alumni

You remote start people have me so jealous.

"You all know I take great pride in my title as Mr. Positive."
My Showoff
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratosproject View Post
You remote start people have me so jealous.
why? jajajajaa ....but seriously is awesome I get out the shower...Get the iPhone and turn on the car when go to my car is Fresh AF!!..(South Cali is hot lol)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Beamer Send a message via Yahoo to Beamer
why jealous of remote start, buy, install, enjoy. I would like to have something like that myself for the car and/or truck. Does not get to snowy but the frost is the same. I normally just go out 5 mins before I typically leave on cold mornings and start it up. Typically never have a frost issue after work since it is usually warmer down here.

My Gone But Not Forgotten Cobalt(s) Show off

2015 Fiat 500 Abarth | 2016 International Durastar

Check out my Youtube page
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer View Post
why jealous of remote start, buy, install, enjoy. I would like to have something like that myself for the car and/or truck. Does not get to snowy but the frost is the same. I normally just go out 5 mins before I typically leave on cold mornings and start it up. Typically never have a frost issue after work since it is usually warmer down here.
x2 ^^^^

I just turn the car on and sometimes either I fix my hair or I eat some snac with juice in the mornings meantime the engine warms up and the actual cars cools down cus is like hell going in the car with the sun here in south cali!....by the time I get to my car is nice and chilly :P
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Yea factory remote start automatically turns on rear defogger, if you leave your HVAC setting to heat the front window and turn it on 10.minutes before you leave you should be fine! Or at least have no ice stuck on the window

Sent from my PG86100

WA636R - Switchblade Silver Mt 09 Sedan LT 2.2L LAP......Auto!

MODS:Fe5 TC Shock + Struts\Moog Endlinks\YYZ V1 Springs\SC Gunmetal Wheels. Badmab Shorty Header\GMPP Performance Exhaust\ZZP 2.5 Catted DP\K&N Drop-in filter\High Flow Intake Tube. Gen4 Headlights\6K Low Beam HID\LED 3rd Brake Light\LED Turn Signals,Plate,Trunk, Dome, Reverse, Side-marker\ Debadge "LT" & GM fender badges\Shorty Antenna

Join YC.com on Facebook! Like YC.com on facebook too!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Prospect

The alarm and remote start was the best investment so far. It runs for 12 minutes and I'm good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode