Audi R8 Style Leds on Headlamps Without Headlamp Disassembly? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Audi R8 Style Leds on Headlamps Without Headlamp Disassembly?

Hello. HS anyone been able to do anACCEPTABLE audi style led install on a headlamp (stock) without having to open them? If so can you describe and post pics if Available? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 09:41 AM
Levee
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member
Admin

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Leveecius
The only way I could see someone being able to do this without opening the headlights, is to remove the headlight, and drill the holes for the LED's and do it all that way, however, doing it that way will put plastic drill shavings inside the headlight and would make it not look so good.

As of right now, I would say that there is nobody that has ever (or will ever in my opinion), try to make an audi style LED light setup on a stock headlamp housing without opening the housing up. It only makes sense to open it up, and it's not hard to open them up anyways.

'09 SS/TC - Stolen
Mods - Injen CAI, CIA MAF Relocate CP's, Dejon FMIC,
Custom 3" DP, 3" Exhaust, GT3076R, Pioneer AVH-4100DVD, Hurst STS, ZZP triple pod, Autometer Cobalt boost/DPIC/WB gauges, Nitto NT05 245/40/18's, H&R Springs, 80:20 Meth Spray
Future - KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers, 10% Tint, FMIC spray
538whp/501wtq @38 psi on meth and 93 oct on stock ish motor

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold
Mods - *Updated 10/6/13* AEM TRUboost EBC, 4in custom TBE, SD dual 93/e85 tune, ETS 4in Race Core FMIC, Dual Aeromotive 400lph Fuel Pumps, T4 Tubular Manifold w/ dual WG's, FP Super99HTZ DBB Turbo, GSC 274 mivec cams, ARP headstuds/rod studs, FIC 2150cc Injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Rail, catch can, Mini Battery Kit, Slim Coolant Fan, Kiggly Racing high pressure valve Springs/Titanium Retainers, Supertech Stainless Steel Valves, Dual VTA Tial 44mm WG's, 4g64 Stroker Manley Pistons, 155mm 2.4 LR Manley Turbo Plus I Beam Rods with ARP 625 Studs, 100mm forged non-billet Manley Crankshaft, Full H/E PNP with Port Matching, Kiggly Racing Girdle, Dual Tial 50mm BOV's, Excedy Triple Disc Carbon HD Clutch, AEM EMS

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel
Mods - 5in TBE, Boost Elbow set to 28psi, Adjusted fuel pump, Open Turbo.

Future Mods- Super Street Clutch (rated @1400ftlbs tq), 67mm turbo, 160lb valve springs, added timing, tubular exhaust manifold, larger injectors, possible 6 spd swap.

Master ASE Certified Gasoline/Diesel Technician since 2004

Speed Junkies Social Group

Yourcobalt Official Facebook Page!

Syndicate of Tuners Official Page! Up and going again as of 1/11/13

Click here to PM me if you have questions or issues!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni

Garage
I've seen them, obviously were opened. Good luck doing it without!

05 Mitsubishi Evolution 8
05 Chevy Cobalt LS (RIP 7/13/2013)
99 Nissan Altima GXE (Daily)
99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)
07 Jeep Liberty Limited (No longer the tow truck for the balt )

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 09:52 AM
Levee
Admin

Garage
I know it's not the same car, but it's the SAME process here to help pull apart headlight lens' from the plastic backing:

Page 8 is where it tells how to use the baking method (which I have personally used to my success before):

http://www.ricks2k.com/info/instructions/diffuser.pdf

Another method to doing this is to use HOT HOT HOT water (basically boiling water), and pouring it over the lens around the seal to heat up the glue so you can separate the lens. I have never used this method but been told by many that it works well.

Just remember if you're going to do this, to make sure you clean out as much of, if not all, of the old glue in there before putting new glue in, and make sure you use a good strong sealant and make sure the ENTIRE lens is sealed or you will fog and have water enter the light. Not a hard process to do this, just take your time to make sure it's done right.

'09 SS/TC - Stolen
Custom 3" DP, 3" Exhaust, GT3076R, Pioneer AVH-4100DVD, Hurst STS, ZZP triple pod, Autometer Cobalt boost/DPIC/WB gauges, Nitto NT05 245/40/18's, H&R Springs, 80:20 Meth Spray

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold
Mods - *Updated 10/6/13* AEM TRUboost EBC, 4in custom TBE, SD dual 93/e85 tune, ETS 4in Race Core FMIC, Dual Aeromotive 400lph Fuel Pumps, T4 Tubular Manifold w/ dual WG's, FP Super99HTZ DBB Turbo, GSC 274 mivec cams, ARP headstuds/rod studs, FIC 2150cc Injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Rail, catch can, Mini Battery Kit, Slim Coolant Fan, Kiggly Racing high pressure valve Springs/Titanium Retainers, Supertech Stainless Steel Valves, Dual VTA Tial 44mm WG's, 4g64 Stroker Manley Pistons, 155mm 2.4 LR Manley Turbo Plus I Beam Rods with ARP 625 Studs, 100mm forged non-billet Manley Crankshaft, Full H/E PNP with Port Matching, Kiggly Racing Girdle, Dual Tial 50mm BOV's, Excedy Triple Disc Carbon HD Clutch, AEM EMS

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel

Future Mods- Super Street Clutch (rated @1400ftlbs tq), 67mm turbo, 160lb valve springs, added timing, tubular exhaust manifold, larger injectors, possible 6 spd swap.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
I'm saying an led strip. This video advertising a product must have been lying to me then because in showed them slapping down a strip over top the headlight. I gues what I'm saying is there room on top or below the headlight to place the strip where it won't look too junky? A guy on here did it but this was long before I joined this forum and by then the photo had been deleted from photo bucket as usual.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Levee
Admin

Garage
I saw a guy with an EVO do this in person. Honestly I thought it looked tacky and rigged that way. I wouldn't do it. I'd do it right if I did it at all.

'09 SS/TC - Stolen

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 01:05 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
Leveecius is right.

Not trying to be abrasive but slapping an LED strip on the outside of a headlight lens looks tacky. The right way to go about it is to open the headlight housings and find a way to secure the strips inside the headlight. Then you have to find somewhere to run the leads out of the housing. I did this with my old housings on my car a while back, what I ended up doing was buying a metal duct clamp at Lowe’s, flattening it, adhered the LED strip to it, then used epoxy to fasten the assembly to the inside of one of the reflectors. The reason I couldn’t slap the strip anywhere inside was because the reflector bucket was curved, and nothing looks worse than a sagging LED strip.

I can post some photos if you’d like.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
The only reason why I don't want to do it the "real" way is because of my fear of not getting it to seal up correctly. That's one of the most terrible things that can happen to a cars appearance.. foggy hazy headlights. One of my headlights had to be replaced under warranty because of that. It seems hard for cars to retain that sealing capability around the lights. If the people at the factory can't do it right I sure as hell know ill mess them up.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 03:10 PM
Levee
Admin

Garage
Get some clear marine rtv sealant. There is a glue channel around the entire lens. Fill the channel completely around the lens. Put the lens on the headlamp backing making sure all parts of the channel seat correctly. Let sit for 1 hour before allowing to be tampered with or re installed. Super simple to not mess up. Factories get bubbles in the glue thus not sealing all the way. That is one thing a machine can't catch that a human eye can.

'09 SS/TC - Stolen

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 06:25 PM
Forum God

ew. Don't do it, looks tacky. Like christmas tree status.

But seriously if you do decide to do it, just do it right. Otherwise I wouldn't bother. Headlights in the oven at 265 deg F for approx. 7 minutes. Then do your mod. Then back in the oven for 5-7 minutes, push the lens back on well, and if still scared, go around the whole headlight seam with clear silicon. I've Opened my headlights like 3 times, did this, never got any condensation whatsoever.

Other than the original stock audi's and the new Jaguars, I have yet to see an LED mod in person that looks nice. I have seen VERY few nice LED mods online, but those were done by professional retrofitters with good taste and didn't overkill it.

BboyTaktix
- 2011 Plasma Blue pearl WRX STI sedan
- SOLD -S256 TURBO 2.2 -SS/TC body, SS/Tc shocks/struts, B&G springs, 17"mags, TRS FX-R retrofits (50W/6000k)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode