Rheostat/variable Resistor Switch for Interior Leds. - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Rheostat/variable Resistor Switch for Interior Leds.

Hello, does anyone know where I can purchase a very compact nice looking rheostat/dimmer switch with leads and ready wired in? Also do I need to know the amperage of the whole led curcuit or will any dimmer switch work? I would like it in the style of the dorman switches like these
Dorman/Conduct-Tite 10 Amps 120 Watts pre-wired metal bat chrome On-Off toggle switch (85982) | | AutoZone.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Maybe you could jimmy one of these LED dimmers by mounting the box in a hidden spot and moving the knob to wherever by extending the wires. The screwed in cover seems to make it easy access.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=170949126333

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
This looks decent but do I have anything to fear because is coming from China? This is a type of switch I haven't dealt with yet and I already see its slightly different from the push button types in that you have to run the ground through it as well as the power side of the circuit. And it's warning people like crazy to not mix the ac with dc. How DONU know if its ac or dc right now? The set up I have is connect straight to the battery, the power and ground. Light are activated off and on with a switch that interrupts or breaks the power side connection. So again will using this dc dimmer be okay? Also in my set up I have 4 neon tubes in the grill NOT LED strips. Will these be affected adversely? Should I re route these wires so they are connect to the dimmer?

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

I was just on eBay and found another switch so compact it looks like the push button one I have, but it only reads its maximum amperage at 1A. How much amperage does 12v led smd strips put out? Mind you I have multiple ones. I have full 12in strips under dash of passenger and drivers side, then the same under the seats to illuminate the back floor. Then I have strips cut to size I'm the door pockets handles etc.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 10:19 AM
Staff Alumni

I'm not sure if this would fit the bill, but it's what I'm using for a more simplistic set up: Inline LED Controller

They also have more elaborate ones.

"You all know I take great pride in my title as Mr. Positive."
My Showoff
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratosproject View Post
I'm not sure if this would fit the bill, but it's what I'm using for a more simplistic set up: Inline LED Controller

They also have more elaborate ones.
I had no idea these existed!!! Game set and match lol I will be getting this right away. I don't get why is it so cheap?? Is there a catch?? It has modes just like my wheel well light kit came with from led glow. Amazing.

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

I have only one wiring question though. By looking at this I feel if power is disconnected via another switch an back on it WON'T come back on automatically unless I manually hit the on button again. The thing is that I am using and rf switch so I can turn my leds on and off via remote. That switch comes almost right after the leads that come from the 12v source which is the battery. Is there any way you could see if the switch stays in the on position when cut off by another switch before it? You can simulate this by simply unhooking your 12v source while the switch is on then hook it back up again to confirm. If this isn't the case that means ill have to move my rf switch to the front after the led controller. Also if I have to do it like this ill have leave the led controller in "on" mode and will I risk any battery drain from that?

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

Last but not least is that I have a total of 4 small neon tubes in my grill running off of the same power source/circuit. This means they will dim with it. Will this cause them or the transformer to blow up?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
You cannot dim neons. The first one I showed you would not reset with power shut down because it's a physical position.

The reason why China stuff so cheap is subsidise, currency devaluation and you have to wait a month for it, maybe 2 around Chrismas time.

By the way I have this set-up in my garage and it works great except I use a motion sensor switch instead of a toggle.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 01:37 PM
Staff Alumni

All I know is it works really well with LED's. After it powers on, it resumes on the setting where it left off. I like that because I have it set to the second lowest dim setting and it just stays there.

My Showoff
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Ok thanks guys. What I'll likely do then is just use the switch I have as a separate switch for the neons and use the oznium switch with the rf switch after it to retain remote function minus the grill neon being remote activated.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratosproject View Post
All I know is it works really well with LED's. After it powers on, it resumes on the setting where it left off. I like that because I have it set to the second lowest dim setting and it just stays there.
What is the pulse mode like? I tried to see but the video on the site was terrible. Do the lights pulse all the way off and on again. When I say this I mean do they fade to complete or near darkness and fade back on or do the just do a slight fade and back to bright as the pulse? I'm asking because the pulsing seemed barely noticeable on the demonstration video. Could you even perhaps post a video of yours?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Staff Alumni

I don't use the pule mode, but I am fairly certain it turns completely off between pulses. I will do my best to get a video up in the next couple days!

My Showoff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode