Trunk Will Not Unlock with New Key - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Initiate
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 35
Trunk Will Not Unlock with New Key

I have an issue. My trunk will unlock fine with my old wore out key but now since I had a new one cut from GM it will not work with it. It does still work with the old wore out key. Any idea what I need to do. Buy a new lock and key it to the keys again?
johnjr1266 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member


 
Coby7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Magnetic Hill, New-Brunswick
Posts: 11,820
Garage
This can happen, they didn't cut your key properly. Go back and they will make you a new one. Have you tried all the doors?

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Coby7 is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Initiate
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 35
It works in every lock except the trunk. The dealer cut it for me from the vin number. My old key was wore out.
johnjr1266 is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 10:35 AM
Staff Alumni
 
stratosproject's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,420
Is your old key bent? Did you use that key frequently on the trunk and infrequently on the doors?

"You all know I take great pride in my title as Mr. Positive."
My Showoff
stratosproject is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Initiate
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 35
Nope. The old wore out key works fine on the trunk. The new one the dealer cut for me from the VIN doesnt work in just the trunk. Every
other lock it works in. The old one was so wore out the dealer couldnt cut it from the key they had to use the VIN.
johnjr1266 is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member


 
Coby7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Magnetic Hill, New-Brunswick
Posts: 11,820
Garage
I always get my keys cut from VIN. They work 80% of the time. The other 20% I attribute to key cutting machine operator's incompetance.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Coby7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome