Correct Underbody Appearance? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Correct Underbody Appearance?

About 2 years ago this month my car was in a body shop where some douche decided he was going to rear end my car WHILE IT WAS PARKED! Luckily he had insurance and the damage was rear bumper cover exhaust and a small small bend under the car where the rear bottom sticks out for the spare tire. Anyway where this bend occurred there was small chipping of the undercoat. I asked that this be fixed by the body shop because I'm am very paranoid and detailed when it comes to stuff like that because of ohio and salt causing rust. Anyway up getting the car back I noticed these random patches of black crap like rubberized undercoat on areas where there was ok damage yet the damage area was never fixed. I can't recall if this black crap was there before or not but now rust is forming underneath it which gives indication it was applied incorrectly. I have a lifetime warranty on the work and just need to know what I'm looking at. Googling cobalt underbody pics showed cars without it but also there was no color underneath but a grayish color. These were on some black and yellow models. It would be good if someone with a victory red can show me what theirs look like.

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

As you can see I have random black rubber sprayed on it, red random specs, some brownish grey and that light brown almost yellow color. Can someone please tell me what the hell am I looking at? All the photos I've seen online were of non red cobalts but the bottoms were just the one color, the light brown/grey color. These photos are the rear most part of underbody where the trunk is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 10:27 AM
I cut stuff
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I am not seeing any rust in those pictures. If it is coated with some kind of paint/primer/undercoating it should be good. I sprayed the entire underside of my car with black undercoating for extra rust protection. Before I sprayed it, it was all a dull red color and there is also a kind of sealer primer in places where the red paint didn't get sprayed. As long as you don't have bare metal showing you are ok.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Thanks, what color is the sealer/primer? Also I didn't take the rust pics because I was randomly aiming the camera because its snowy out and in the 20s so I couldn't take the best pic. But it is crusty looking in those spots and feels
Harder there if I tap on it with my finger.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

Just don't get why mine is multiple colors and this one isn't

See its just that solid gray. Just want to make sure this poor body shop didnt just slap stuff under there just because I said it needed to he protecting not knowing I was just referring to just a small paint chip. And considering I feel slight surface rust in some of those areas, gives me more reason to tell them to take the crap off and re do it as stock.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 02:17 PM
I cut stuff
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
The Factory applies an "E-coat" to the entire car. It is almost a greenish gray color. E-coat is a primer that is applied with an electric conduction type of process. Sort of like powder coating but different lol. The under side of my car mostly looked like the above picture you are showing with some red over spray toward the outer edges of the floor. A body shop may have some sort of sealer primer that is not the same color as the factory primer. So that could make it look different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode