Problems with CarID Projectors? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Problems with CarID Projectors?

Sorry if this is already discussed in a previous post, or if it's in the wrong section, but I've been having a problem with some projector HID's that I bought from CarID.com. Some people have mentioned in the past that one might want to go for higher quality, but alas, I did not heed their warnings. I understand that they've also stopped selling them on their website. Is this because they were getting so many complaints and had to stop selling them? If that's the case, am I entitled to a refund or anything of that nature? My passenger side light has gotten so dim, I get pulled over because the officers think it's completely out. A VERY close inspection will show that it's still somewhat on, so I get away with it 9 times out of 10. Don't exactly have the cash to throw at an entire new set of lights either. Has any one else had these issues?

Mods: Feel free to move this thread if it's in the wrong section.

"Remember not to litter,
spay or neuter your critter."
Strangest road sign ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Contributor

Just look local for a set of used oem headlights, Shouldn't run more than 60/70 bucks and just throw those on your car and you'll be good. But if your set on keeping them then do a good job checking all the wiring and connections to check for bad wires or bad connections which might be causing the light to dim.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Staff Alumni

You won't know until you ask. Are we talking bulbs or housings? How old?

CarID is one of our vendors here, I believe, and would do well to honor any legitimate refund/exchange requests. If they don't offer a solution that meets your satisfaction, then you have more aggressive options. But give them the opportunity to fix a mistake.

Everyone has their opinions, but I found the set I got from theretrofitsource to be excellent quality. Price tag wasn't too bad either.

FYI I have a set of brand new 4300K H7's (Morimoto3five's) sitting around if they fit and you want to buy. They're my spares, but I'd let them go cheap to help you out.

"You all know I take great pride in my title as Mr. Positive."
My Showoff

Last edited by stratosproject; 01-06-2013 at 01:59 PM.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Well I appreciate that Stratos, but I'm using 10000k H1 bulbs.
Here's what I have:
SPYDER® - Smoke CCFL Halo Projector Headlights
NOTTO® SE - Complete HID Conversion Kit
Options: Color Output: [10000K] - FACTORY SKYLINE

The bulb or ballast on the passenger side has almost gone out completely. They stopped selling the kits on the website and I just spoke to a customer service rep over the phone. They'll be issuing me a $60 refund, which is partial considering the kit cost a little more than $100. I'm glad they were able to give me something back, but I feel as though they should have done more to correct the problem. So now I can buy a new ballast and bulb, but it's going to be a different ballast and that in itself is a problem for me. You start mix matching things and that's when you get problems. Their customer service team is excellent, don't get me wrong, but they chose to stand behind a sub-par product but, and this is strictly my opinion, they don't seem to be willing to take the full blame. My parts were still within warranty, they have two months left. So now I've got a jerry-rig solution to work with, unless I want to fork up the cash to swap out both ballasts and bulbs, which is more work than I really wanted to do.

I don't feel neglected by the customer service team, I just feel ripped off by the quality of the product and how little the company is actually able to do to remedy the situation. Ugh, first world problems.

"Remember not to litter,
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Easy solution. Flip your "good bulb" over to the side that is dim. If the bulb displays dim than you know it's the ballast. If the ballast is bad and you litterally bought them brand new recently I would demand they send me a new ballast, which they should have. If it's the bulb, unfortunately a lot of factors go into that which many of them would be your fault so I would be content with $60.

Remember that CarID is just a distributor and not a manufacturer so they aren't going to stand behind someone elses product 100%.

So, when did you buy and did you get this as a package deal or did you get the HID's, conversion kit, and housing seperately?

05 Mitsubishi Evolution 8
05 Chevy Cobalt LS (RIP 7/13/2013)
99 Nissan Altima GXE (Daily)
99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)
07 Jeep Liberty Limited (No longer the tow truck for the balt )

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

It was a package deal and I got them around 8 months ago, maybe less. I'm going to try swapping it over but to be honest, I had a mechanic hook them up because I haven't got the slightest clue when it comes to cars aside from airing up my tires and checking / changing fluids. Very basic maintenance, nothing more. It's my understanding that there's a whole heap of crap you have to do to remove the headlight housing, but I haven't looked into yet. It looks like I'm going to have to remove the front grill, not sure though. I'm going to try this when I get home if it looks like something I can manage. I'm pretty sure I haven't done anything to cause a problem with the bulb, as I know the wiring and such is all 100% correct. I had a very long-time family friend who is also a certified mechanic install them. Plus, if the passenger side is a direct mirror image of the driver side, wouldn't both bulbs have problems if it were a direct result of something I did? Keep in mind, when it comes to moving parts, I'm clueless. I'll gladly work on some one's computer for them if they come fix my car :P

Just kidding on that last part. I'm looking up tuts to remove the headlight housing now.

"Remember not to litter,
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Staff Alumni

no man, two bolts and the whole thing slides out, no joke. Its that easy. Now the wires that they probably used scotch-loks to hook up, they'll be your problem.

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni

Garage
Well, you typically have to remove part of the front bumper to completely remove the housing. FYI

Things like turning your lights on and off a lot or touching the bulb with your bare hands can negatively affect the life of a bulb. I'm sure there are other factors but these are the two big no no's

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by money_man View Post
no man, two bolts and the whole thing slides out, no joke. Its that easy. Now the wires that they probably used scotch-loks to hook up, they'll be your problem.
Show me two bolts to remove the headlight. Never heard that or gotten it to work properly without messing up the bumper before.

99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Staff Alumni

no problem, when I get home I'll take a picture. My car and my friends g5 come out the same way. Undo two bolts and wiggle out the light. We did my hids and his in 15 minutes.

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

i stand corrected, you need to remove one little press in tab where the top of the bumper reaches the rad support.

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni

Garage
Stock housing or aftermarket?

99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode