Free Tail Light Mod - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Garage
Free Tail Light Mod

(Apologies about the low quality pics. My phones camera isn't that decent.)

Ever since I did this to my balt other balt's have been asking me where I got it done. Lucky for them I had other cut outs in my glovebox and the 10mm in the trunk so I fitted them up right then and there. It's almost like we have an exclusive club in our town now. I know its them if I pull up behind them.

So anyway I figured I'd drop this here just in case anyone wanted to add it on too.

1. Create stencil and cut out letters (Stencil of "COBALT")

2. Remove fabric cover inside of trunk (if you still have it)

3. Remove two nuts in trunk using 10mm socket (on either side of tail light)

4. Pinch the long plastic clips (inwards from the bolts you just removed the nuts from) in while reaching around the outside of the trunk and pushing the light inward.
CAREFUL --> Don't push clips too hard and break them, only enough to slide light assembly past the frame AND don't push the light out too hard in case it is loose already and could go flying.

5. With light still attached to wires, just remove the red cover that goes over the bulbs. You can disconnect the whole assembly from the wire if you want, but it is not necessary.

6 Position cut out stencil inside the cover BACKWARDS (so it reads forwards from outside) and use painters tape to hold in place.

7. Cover the rest of the area inside the cover with painters tape, trim excess, and carefully remove as to not pull apart the tape.

8. Paint BOTH sides of the new oval shaped stencil black so light doesn't shine through the cracks. Don't worry about the tape not being sticky because of the paint because you just....

9. ...Tape the painted stencil back into the cover with some more painters tape. A few small pieces will do.

10. Put everything back in place. Cover back on bulbs; assembly back in slot; nuts screwed back in; cover back on trunk

11. (Optional) Cut a few more stencils out just in case you run into another balt that thinks it'd look awesome to have this too.

/// 2006 /// SS /// Victory-Red /// 5-Speed ///

Interior:
...Red and Black Interior trim (why did chevy think tan==good?)
...Pioneer DEH-X6500BT HU
...Sound Ordinance M-1350 750W Amp
...12" Kicker Comp Sub
Exterior:
...Black 5" fender flares
...Third Break Light Stencil "COBALT"
Engine:
...None...YET!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 12:36 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
Nice, but I'll stick with mine.

2007 Cobalt Ls Manual Coupe
Kenwood Excelon X996, RF T3 Components, RF Power 6x9s, Sundown Audio SA10, RF Power T600.4, Alpine MRP-1000, Kinetic HC-1800, Black headlights, FX-R HID 55W, Custom led tail lights, Led reverse lights, Airbox mod.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 07:21 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerContributor

Garage
Kool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode