Detailing the Upholstery - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Garage
Detailing the Upholstery

I recently detailed the entire interior of my 2000 Toyota Corolla, and it turned out great. I'm thinking about doing the same for my girlfriend's 2008 Chevy Cobalt, and I wanted to get some feedback. Here's my plan.

1) Remove all of the seats, spot clean them with degreaser, and pressure wash them to remove all dirt and stains.

2) Clean all interior panels (dash, console, cup holders, etc.) with a degreaser. Follow up with polish for a gloss finish.

3) Remove all trim pieces to get to the carpet. Pull the carpet out and thoroughly clean with degreaser and pressure washer.

4) Clean all interior glass and mirrors.

5) After drying, replace carpet, trim, and seats.

I used Purple Power in my Toyota, and it seemed to attack the stains without damaging the color of my interior. What would you guys recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 04:15 AM
Staff Alumni

I can't speak to the effectiveness of that, but it sounds like a lot of work. I've used a Rug Doctor with an upholstery attachment with great results. Steam clean away, let dry. I try to avoid using anything with harsh chemicals on my upholstery. For trim, I use Armor All protectant. Gives the trim a really nice shine. It must work somewhat well, because people who ride in my car think it's brand new.

Welcome to the site!

"You all know I take great pride in my title as Mr. Positive."
My Showoff
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Garage
Oh, it's a ton of work, believe me. I spent the better part of 2 days working on my Toyota, but it came out looking like new. I don't like to use harsh chemicals, but in my case I felt it was necessary. I bought the car used, and it had some questionable stains in the seats that I couldn't live with.

For minor dirt/soiling, steam cleaning does sound interesting, though....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode