Messed up my interior - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Messed up my interior

So the other day I took out the plastic middle interior pieces and I sprayed them . I didn't sand them or anything. They got dry and now there cracking.
What kind of sand paper should I use to get it of I tried 300 grit and 600 grit and nothing. Help please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 04:36 PM
Contributor

What kind of paint ya use? Lacquer, etc....
Should of sanded off? ....try a little heat an sanding?
I just had to redo my dome light and sanded it with 150, 240, 400 grit...it was a pain....
If worse comes to worse sand blast it....but be careful it works fast and will eat through it real quick....I had to do some parts like that an maybe some more....

Megatron for global domination(0)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

It was a post to be like the factory paint but in a spray paint can

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Did you vinyl prep primer?

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
Did you vinyl prep primer?
Nope. I just sprayed it. And left it to dry
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 07:55 AM
Contributor

how about clean it all?
wipe it down with a cleaner?
if not ya made more work for yourself an hope it comes off easy for ya..
just give it a ruff sanding and prime it and start over again
but make sure ya get the surface so it has a nice semi-fine bite/no gloss to it...
won't have to sand it all off....just make sure the surface is smooth and no raised parts or sudden edges that will show and the end

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
how about clean it all?
wipe it down with a cleaner?
if not ya made more work for yourself an hope it comes off easy for ya..
just give it a ruff sanding and prime it and start over again
but make sure ya get the surface so it has a nice semi-fine bite/no gloss to it...
won't have to sand it all off....just make sure the surface is smooth and no raised parts or sudden edges that will show and the end

what's a cleaner that I can use that won't mess up my interior.
And what type of sand paper should I use?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 10:05 AM
Contributor

Cleaner & degreaser.....buy at auto parts store or use rubbing alcohol but don't recommend it....
.start off with a 100 or 150 make sue it's not dig to deep in to the plastic,
then on to 200 or 250 wet or dry sand it....get as much marks out ya can from the pervious sanding, smooth an no gloss is what ya want, wipe it down with a mild soap water(dawn dish soap works fine)then the cleaner/degreaser try to not touch it to much( finger prints) then primer it....lite coats... Then spray the colors your wanting and then a clear over that for added protection..touch as little as possible is the key and mount it to something that helps move it around while spraying will help.....

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 AM ----------

Might even try a local auto body shop an get little from them of the cleaner degreaser......12oz or more bottle should be enough but can never have to much...

---------- Post added at 10:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 AM ----------

And use good clean cloths in the process...lint free

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

I'd say send them up to me and I'll do it for ya....for small fee.....I'll airbrush it for ya...

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
Cleaner & degreaser.....buy at auto parts store or use rubbing alcohol but don't recommend it....
.start off with a 100 or 150 make sue it's not dig to deep in to the plastic,
then on to 200 or 250 wet or dry sand it....get as much marks out ya can from the pervious sanding, smooth an no gloss is what ya want, wipe it down with a mild soap water(dawn dish soap works fine)then the cleaner/degreaser try to not touch it to much( finger prints) then primer it....lite coats... Then spray the colors your wanting and then a clear over that for added protection..touch as little as possible is the key and mount it to something that helps move it around while spraying will help.....

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 AM ----------

Might even try a local auto body shop an get little from them of the cleaner degreaser......12oz or more bottle should be enough but can never have to much...

---------- Post added at 10:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 AM ----------

And use good clean cloths in the process...lint free

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

I'd say send them up to me and I'll do it for ya....for small fee.....I'll airbrush it for ya...

I'm going to try sanding them first. Maybe wet 800 grit?
And I would if I had the cash my reckless driving ticket pretty much ate my wallet

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

Where are you located at? Lol
And what's your price
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 04:32 PM
Contributor

800 would be to fine....for the base sanding....go nothing about 200 maybe 300 grit for the prime surface then if ya want when clear use the 800 wet..
The 800 will make it to smooth an have issues not wanting to stick...

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

But when ya scrub it with soapy water use a scotch Brite pad I've used the green and the gray colors for that....green is courser...make sure ya have a bite to the surface not smooth a fine ruff feel and see some sanding marks but not deep just surface...when ya prime it with couple coats your gonna kind of see the surface you'll get in the end...

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

I've got post in album ya can see some what of the surface should look like..

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

MI and what ya want on it will be the price ..if your looking for basic color not much just have to see a pic of the parts to see what I'm in for...just started to do interiors....and kind of fun...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode