Broken Headlamp Bracket - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

Broken Headlamp Bracket

So a while ago some jerkoff backed his truck into the front end of my 06 Ls while I was in a building doing some business. It bent up the front lip of the hood and cracked one of the mounts of the passenger-side headlamp. Well the part that bolts into the body is no longer attached to the headlamp. Ill post a picture when it is light outside. The assembly is hanging in by the one other bolt and faith (its pointed basically at the ground, but it's still brighter than the water-filled driver-side headlamp).

Is there a way to replace the bracket? Or should I fork out the 125 bucks for a new headlamp assembly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 08:04 PM
Cobalt Master
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

Holy crap 90 bucks for the pair on Ebay. I see your point sir ^

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 08:08 PM
Expert

You can drain that water out of the headlight. Just remove the headlight and drill a small hole on the bottom side after the water drained you can seal the hole with some grey rtf and reinstall, or a replacement isn't all that much on eBay. But as said eBay or a junk yard will be the best bet to get the bracket.

2009 Imperial Blue Metallic Cobalt SS/TC Sedan - "Stock":
2008 Victory Red HHR SS - Stock
2005 Chili Pepper Red Ion Redline - Stock
2007 Sunburst Orange Metallic LS Coupe - Sold
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 08:10 PM
Cobalt Master
Staff Alumni

Well... you could also just take the headlight bulb out n put a blow drier in the hole at max heat n let the hot air steam away the water n seal the hole around the lip with silicone
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 08:12 PM
Expert

The water in the headlight can cause wiring issues... the wires an corrode and will eventually start blowing the headlight fuse, or worse it could end up starting a fire....

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

Using heat You run the risk of melting the plastic.... I melted one of my stock headlight with a blow dryer... the bottom of it is kinda wonky now... lol

2009 Imperial Blue Metallic Cobalt SS/TC Sedan - "Stock":
2008 Victory Red HHR SS - Stock
2005 Chili Pepper Red Ion Redline - Stock
2007 Sunburst Orange Metallic LS Coupe - Sold
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 08:18 PM
Cobalt Master
Staff Alumni

That's why I said take it out and remove the bulbs and wiring... and put a blow drier at the hole and let it steam away the water.. After about 10-15 take it out and tip the headlight down to the corner and see if there's still a few drops and put back in til nothing left thin silicone around the lip where the glue is.. believe me i have a pair in my car right now that are crap junk and I had water in em cause I took em apart to do stuff and got water in em and did what I just told u and resealed it and it hasn't got water in it yet even after snow that just happened...

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 PM ----------

Lol nothing happen to mine and i used one on mine ...As long as u have another hole for heat and steam to escape it should be fine.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 03:46 AM
Contributor

I'm going to have to take a look at my daughter's headlights...both seem to have moisture inside so guessing previous owners did something wrong. Probably a bad seal, or crack somewhere...

06 Cobalt LS (for my daughter)
MSgt, USAF (Retired)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 09:36 AM
Prospect

Bought a set off Amazon for about $85 shipped. Came with all the bulbs and wiring harness. Seemed like a no brainer since the old ones were cloudy and had condensation. Arrived in less than a week and had no problems installing and adjusting the beams.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002M4B3Z8/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seemed like a lot less hassle then cleaning and sealing them.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Initiate

yeah Im going to just buy a new set of lights when I get past the suspension and brake work. The clouded one is covered in calcification.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode