Attention! - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Smile Attention!

Hello anyone who's reading this

I'm new to this site and was wondering if anyone has any advice on the gen 4 projectors hooking up hids(pics would be helpful)
Ordered depo gen 4's off amazon for 182 because I busted my stock headlights in a wreck with a guard rail, anywho they should be here next week but I wanted some help with hook in up h7 bulbs to my current ballast without having to use a relay. Ordered some h7's off eBay.

Also since this is exterior, what would be the best route to get a upper grill insert, the one that is behind the front chevy emblem/bumper that guards the radiator. (Junk yard?,amazon?,eBay? Etc?)

I'm a novice but a lot of you guys have some amazing advice on things I've looked up in the past and I figured I'd go ahead and join

If anyone can help I'd really appreciate your time!

Also, do I need to pull my drl fuse when I swap the headlights? I have a 2006 cobalt LS. Used hid in stocks for the past 2 years & no problems there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 02:54 AM
Super Moderator

Idk about everyone else, but when I did mine I had to poke a hole through the rubber boot on the back of the headlight and feed the hid spade to the ballast. Hook the positive to positive and negative to negative. Then I put sealant around the hole I cut and wire I fed through. Then find somewhere to Mount your ballasts and you're done!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 10:07 AM
Contributor

I have the gen 4s with HIDs. As soon as photobucket is done with "routine maintenance" I'll find them and post them up.

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

I don't remember much in detail since this was in 2010 but fortunately I took a sh!t ton of pictures

Black 2010 SS/TC G85 | ZFR6758 | Term2 tuned | 479whp, 470wtq | Built internals | Cryo'd 4.45 | CM S4 clutch | Hahn CP | ZZP IC | Forge BPV | Hahn 3 DP and Catback | Hahn CAI | Ported head & intake | LE5 TB | Opel injectors + custom 5th injector | ZZP S3 cams | 82# valve springs | 420lph E85 LPFP | Custom FM oil cooler | PRS YYZ v3 & Koni yellows | PRS XXX bar | PRS rotated mounts, rear bushings & TCABS | PRS PCV | PRS Racing oil pan | PRS brake ducts

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 10:36 AM
Gawd of Thunda!
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SpeedyCobalt
damn those gen4's actually look damn good!

2005 Stealth grey metallic 2DR Standard Base Model
2006 Burnt Orange 2DR Standard SS
MY SHOWOFF THREAD

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thanks colodude for a accurate and detailed answer with pics, have you had any problems with your headlights still? Also, with the stock harness I just connect the hid wires into the blue harness on the car? Like the positive and negative?
I've seen people say cut the Stock harness and use spade connectors to join for the hid plug in.

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanman35 View Post
Idk about everyone else, but when I did mine I had to poke a hole through the rubber boot on the back of the headlight and feed the hid spade to the ballast. Hook the positive to positive and negative to negative. Then I put sealant around the hole I cut and wire I fed through. Then find somewhere to Mount your ballasts and you're done!

Thank you man!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLS843 View Post
Thanks colodude for a accurate and detailed answer with pics, have you had any problems with your headlights still? Also, with the stock harness I just connect the hid wires into the blue harness on the car? Like the positive and negative?
I've seen people say cut the Stock harness and use spade connectors to join for the hid plug in.

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

Thank you man!
You're welcome.. just do exactly what colodude did.. that's what I did too

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 12:37 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLS843 View Post
I've seen people say cut the Stock harness and use spade connectors to join for the hid plug in.Thank you man!
You're welcome
I haven't had any issues with the electrical part. IIRC, I didn't cut or splice anything, basically just plugins. The only issue I have with the headlights is that one of the lenses is peeling a bit, looks almost like clear coat fail. But I'm planning on building me some custom retros soon with a brand new set of Gen4's so I don't worry about it

Black 2010 SS/TC G85 | ZFR6758 | Term2 tuned | 479whp, 470wtq | Built internals | Cryo'd 4.45 | CM S4 clutch | Hahn CP | ZZP IC | Forge BPV | Hahn 3 DP and Catback | Hahn CAI | Ported head & intake | LE5 TB | Opel injectors + custom 5th injector | ZZP S3 cams | 82# valve springs | 420lph E85 LPFP | Custom FM oil cooler | PRS YYZ v3 & Koni yellows | PRS XXX bar | PRS rotated mounts, rear bushings & TCABS | PRS PCV | PRS Racing oil pan | PRS brake ducts
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Keep me in mine when you want to sell yours.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 06:42 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
Keep me in mine when you want to sell yours.
Noted, you have dibbs. That is if I don't have to sacrifice the old set for what I have in mind

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I don't like the new gen 4's with the LEDs and halos.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
cobalt , forum

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode