06 LS LED Radio and Footwell Lights? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Question 06 LS LED Radio and Footwell Lights?

I just picked up an '06 LS coupe over the weekend, I already put in a DDM Tuning 600k Bi-Xenon HID kit and swapped all the 194 bulbs to LED as well as an LED dome light.

My next goals are red LED lights on the interior. First I'm going to put in red 5050 SMD strips over the footwells, where's the best place to tap into the parking light circuit for this? I know there is a brown wire by the fuse panel I can use but that won't make them dimmable, correct? My second question is about the bulbs in the radio. On the upper left corner it looks like I have a blown bulb, how hard is it to switch this out, and what type of bulb is it? While I'm in there should I just go ahead and do a full red LED swap? Which then poses the question, what kind of red LED's do I order for both the radio and HVAC?

Thanks in advance guys, I have a lot of experience with automotive wiring, soldering etc but I haven't had the chance to play with this car much yet and figured I would ask the experts!

Last edited by EricTheNerd; 03-10-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 10:43 PM
Contributor

I've got about the same project here but some what more elaborate
And doing some research myself I wouldn't recommending tapping into any of the factory power supply.. Read but not for sure you can start a electrical head ache down the road..
One thing goes leads to other things going out...
Read that if you take out a bulb in the rear tail light your dash, cruise control, an something else goes with it..
I luckly ran a separate fuse box (5)in the trunk from the battery or should say batteries..
So I'm staying away from any factory taping...

Megatron for global domination(0)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Alright, well if I should avoid tapping into the wire for my lights like that, is there an easy way to get a source inside the cabin that's only on when the parking lights are on? I haven't been able to check- is the parking light fuse hot all the time or only when the lights are on? If it's switched, it would be easy to tap into with an add-a-fuse and add the LEDs from there.

2006 Cobalt SS/SC

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Okay, Wish I was sure as to what you want to do and when you want your footwells lit. In the BCM connector "C3" there's a pin "B12" that has dimmer voltage out. It has 2 gray wires crimped to the same pin. One lights the instrument panel the other lights the hazard switch's bulb and continues on to the shifter bulb if you have an automatic.

It is very easy to tap into if you're comfortable with wiring. This source is already fused.

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 03-11-2014 at 02:13 PM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Awesome, thank you Coby7, that is exactly what I needed! My plan is to tap into that to power a set of LEDs over the footwells.
Now, about my second question, sorry If I'm supposed to create a new thread, but how hard is it to change a blown bulb in the radio? I've read the how-to's about removing the trim and the radio, but is it worth it to pull apart the unit just for one dead bulb? And while I'm in there is it just as easy to do a red LED swap?

2006 Cobalt SS/SC

Last edited by Coby7; 03-11-2014 at 03:17 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I never had a Cobalt radio apart but did a ton of 03-07 truck radios. The hardest part is pulling the radio out. the rest is just unsoldering and resoldering.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Awesome, thanks again Coby. Ideas on what kind of red LED to use ? Any 12v LED ought to theoretically work, right?

2006 Cobalt SS/SC
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
diffused lens. Don't know if they are 3mm or 5mm though.

12 Volt LED

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Now I havent seen anyone else do this, but do you think if I just left the stock bulbs alone and put a red LED strip across the bottom of the head unit that it would illuminate the buttons? Or across the top and bottom? Is there room? Sorry for all the questions but I'm away at college and my car is at home so I can't just go out and check.

2006 Cobalt SS/SC
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 08:47 PM
Contributor

Wtf!!
I was just looking into this(wish I could remember the post) couple of weeks ago
Seen one that said you start tapping into wiring your may start a whole new problem.. Gremlin may start..and how everything's link together...
Nope I'm sticking with a fuse box I installed in the trunk..connected to the batteries back there...and switches in the center console...

Megatron for global domination(0)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
hid , hvac , led , radio , swap

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode