HID Conversion Questions - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
HID Conversion Questions

im looking at purchasing a high and low beam HID kit for my cobalt, before people go on about how they hate them and stuff, i hate them if they arent adjusted right, and my eyes arent the best so it would be a good upgrade to the car. where i plan on buying the lights only has the high low beam kit, ive read that it takes a few seconds for the HID to switch to high beam and it decreases the bulb life, so will i be going through bulbs like no tomorrow or should i not worry about it, i think im going with 55w ballast to if that helps, im planning on 6000k or 8000k

2007 Cobalt LT, BLACK on BLACK, Airbox mod, Muffler delete[SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 06:54 PM
Contributor

The bi-xenon HID kits are horrible. All the bulb does is move in and out and you get a lousy high beam. In fact, you go from a frowning cutoff to a smiling cutoff. On high beam, you only get extra light on the sides. No distance at all down the middle. As for color temperature, blue is EPIC FAIL! Stick to 4,300k - 5,000k. Speaking from experience, the halogens do a MUCH better job illuminating the road than an HID kit. At least with the halogens, the light is distributed better. Much better distance. Don't waste your money. Also, 55 watt ballast is a waste. Again, since you'll have horrible distribution of light, the 55 watt will make it much worse. Way too much foreground light. Also, the so-called "fix" to reduce glare by aiming the headlights down also creates even more foreground light and less distance that the lights can shine. Save your money and do a projector retrofit instead. However, it's your car; do what you want. I'm just warning you of the possible consequences. Daniel Stern's lighting has some pretty good info.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Only thing I can really help is not to get 8k. They are really blue and have less visibility than the 6k

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 06:57 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanman35 View Post
Only thing I can really help is not to get 8k. They are really blue and have less visibility than the 6k
Better yet, less "usable" light than halogens. A yellowish light will cut through rain and fog. Blue light will just scatter. It will seem like the headlights aren't even on.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 07:56 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum God

I have 6k in and no issues, much better than the stock lights. But they are in Mini H1 projectors so it's done properly and not half assed. The Morimoto (close enough) kit although expensive with the HID kit the bulbs don't pop out but instead tilt up. Get it from the retrofit source.

2009 Cobalt LS XFE (F23) Victory Red
YYZ V.3 Springs, Koni shocks/struts, Powell XXX rear swaybar, Brembo brake swap, 5 lug conversion, Ion Redline wheels, SS/SC interior swap including power conversion, K&N intake, Trifecta tune, Ark Performance N-II catback, Ark shorty antenna, SS body kit, Powell F23 rotated mount, LNF rear mount, Powell CABs
Soon to come- EFR 6758 turbo kit and make Retro Headlights.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 09:31 PM
Expert

I love my HID kits, but I'm not using a bi-xenon HID kit.

---------- Post added at 12:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

On my SS, I have a 5000k h11 35w HIDs for my lows, regular 55w h11 bulbs for my highs, and my fogs are 3000k 35w HIDs. I love the light output from both my HID kits. My projectors are not quite aimed right, but pretty close, since I fixed the terrible alignment of my Gen 4 projectors, but the cutoff is really good, and I really don't need my high beams... Also I have my lows wired to stay on when I turn on my highs, I can pretty much see anything that is out there, although its illegal just about everywhere. Both of the HID kits for my SS were purchased through Modern Performance.

Also on my LS I have a 6000k H1 35w HID kit, and I have no issues of not being able to see, they are bright as hell. I did have 8000k bulbs in there and the light out put was decent, but not nearly as good as 6000k. The HID kit for my LS was purchased through HIDwerks.

As far as the bi-xenon HID kits if your state requires inspection, you might want to check with them and make sure it will pass, because bi-xenon HID kits will not pass here in VA.

2009 Imperial Blue Metallic Cobalt SS/TC Sedan - "Stock":
2008 Victory Red HHR SS - Stock
2005 Chili Pepper Red Ion Redline - Stock
2007 Sunburst Orange Metallic LS Coupe - Sold

Last edited by blu3_v1p3r; 03-26-2014 at 09:38 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
[quote=kcg795;1053906]The bi-xenon HID kits are horrible. All the bulb does is move in and out and you get a lousy high beam. In fact, you go from a frowning cutoff to a smiling cutoff. On high beam, you only get extra light on the sides. No distance at all down the middle. As for color temperature, blue is EPIC FAIL! Stick to 4,300k - 5,000k. Speaking from experience, the halogens do a MUCH better job illuminating the road than an HID kit. At least with the halogens, the light is distributed better. Much better distance. Don't waste your money. Also, 55 watt ballast is a waste. Again, since you'll have horrible distribution of light, the 55 watt will make it much worse. Way too much foreground light. Also, the so-called "fix" to reduce glare by aiming the headlights down also creates even more foreground light and less distance that the lights can shine. Save your money and do a projector retrofit instead. However, it's your car; do what you want. I'm just warning you of the possible consequences. Daniel Stern's lighting has some pretty good info.[/Q
i have never heard of a headlight that moves in and out for high and low beam these are true HID not crappy ones im going with 6k and 35w because 55w is illegal where i live as it turns out

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3_v1p3r View Post

---------- Post added at 12:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

On my SS, I have a 5000k h11 35w HIDs for my lows, regular 55w h11 bulbs for my highs, and my fogs are 3000k 35w HIDs. I love the light output from both my HID kits. My projectors are not quite aimed right, but pretty close, since I fixed the terrible alignment of my Gen 4 projectors, but the cutoff is really good, and I really don't need my high beams... Also I have my lows wired to stay on when I turn on my highs, I can pretty much see anything that is out there, although its illegal just about everywhere. Both of the HID kits for my SS were purchased through Modern Performance.

Also on my LS I have a 6000k H1 35w HID kit, and I have no issues of not being able to see, they are bright as hell. I did have 8000k bulbs in there and the light out put was decent, but not nearly as good as 6000k. The HID kit for my LS was purchased through HIDwerks.

As far as the bi-xenon HID kits if your state requires inspection, you might want to check with them and make sure it will pass, because bi-xenon HID kits will not pass here in VA.
im not getting bi xenons theres are quality HID and im going 6k with 35w because 55w is illegal where i live as it turns out

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 06:37 AM
Staff Alumni

in N.B and N.S it is also illegal for safety inspection to have any tint of blue at all. 6000k will give off a blue tint, go with 4300-5000k and youll be super white and will pass safety inspections. I don't know P.E.I safety inspection laws however so maybe you will pass

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 06:44 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
[QUOTE=ohcanadaman1;1054698]
i have never heard of a headlight that moves in and out for high and low beam these are true HID not crappy ones im going with 6k and 35w because 55w is illegal where i live as it turns out[COLOR="Silver"]

He talking the type of bulb.
2 types telescopic and tilting, I have heard that telescoping is better than tilting

Boosted 2.4SS AKA: Caroline (Carolina)

zzp stg 2 turbo, exedy stg 2 clutch, powell raceshop rotated mount, and slow...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3_v1p3r View Post

i might as well just get what i was looking at in the first place because i looked at the lights on the HIDwerks sit and they are the same thing i was looking at only more expensive and they arent a high and low beam kit, so i think ill just order what i was looking at, they are giving me good warranties and all that so if anything goes wrong ill replace or send them back

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 AM ----------

so can someone explain to me how people use a hid for their low beam and a regular bulb for high beam if theres only one bulb in the headlight itself?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode