Recoloring the Interior - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Recoloring the Interior

I'd like to recolor the interior in my Balt, black instead of the boring gray color. I was thinking about just saving up and buying all new paneling, or just painting it myself? which would be best? obviously getting new parts would probably have a littler better results, just a budget problem, and I like DIY things xD if i were to paint it myself, what would be the best way to go about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Many people have painted the interior trim in all sorts of colors. It really isn't too difficult. Some members will be able to share their how-tos.

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah. Buying the new panels will look much better.. But I have a HUGE tip that makes gray look just as good. Instead of using paint use the black roof sealant. It is rubber and comes out the same texture as the panel. It is easier than paint too because it comes out thicker. Only one coat needed. It is crazy durable and will not scratch like paint. But it can't be redone. You won't be able to strip it off or anything. So before you do your panel try it on something g else to make sure you can get the same results as me .

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

---------- Post added at 08:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 AM ----------

I used something like flex seal

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 12:05 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum God

They make a plastic dye that most people use.

2009 Cobalt LS XFE (F23) Victory Red
YYZ V.3 Springs, Koni shocks/struts, Powell XXX rear swaybar, Brembo brake swap, 5 lug conversion, Ion Redline wheels, SS/SC interior swap including power conversion, K&N intake, Trifecta tune, Ark Performance N-II catback, Ark shorty antenna, SS body kit, Powell F23 rotated mount, LNF rear mount, Powell CABs
Soon to come- EFR 6758 turbo kit and make Retro Headlights.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 02:45 PM
Contributor

I just did my whole interior from headliner to floor..was the grey color and made it metal look.. Did the whole transformers theme..have cybertron on the ceiling and megatons eye on the doors...a lot of prep work is done...
1.wash the plastic pieces with good soapy/grease cut detergent and a green scotch bright pad
2 never to clean check for shiny spots want it to look dull.
3 wipe down with a auto degreaser but test it so it doesn't eat plastic..
3 spray a plastic primer for plastic parts metal primer for metal
4. And paint the color or colors ya want
5. Clear with a good clear..and versetel clear one that paints on metal, plastic, fabric..several coats
Keep in mind how much each part and it's location will be abused... That will tell ya what ya can do there and how much to pay attention to that area...and more ? Hit me up [email protected]
I airbrush/customize interiors for side jobs...

Megatron for global domination(0)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 03:49 PM
Forum Regular

I painted the plastic and redid my liner with a suede headliner. $35 for a the cloth and $9 for the adhesive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode