Sun Roof - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Sun Roof

I want to add a sunroof to my Balt, and was wondering how I would go about doing so? I like doing things myself, but I don't want to mess anything up. On the other hand, I don't want to pay an arm and a leg. What would be the best way to go about this? If I add one, would it be safe against leaks and such?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

Abythig can be done with the right amount of money and know how. But you will want someone that knows how to weld, and do all kinds of things. You will have to put braces in I'm sure to strengthen the car again.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 09:20 AM
Veteran

Garage
Sun Roof

I spent some time a while back looking into this. You can swap the roof panels from a car that had a sunroof into one that doesn't. It's the entire top piece between the plastic trim strips on the roof. To do it, those plastic trim pieces need to be removed, then the front and rear windows need to be removed. The weld points need to be separated then you can swap the roof panels. There is a roof support in a non-sunroof car but there isn't one in cars with factory sunroof. They maintain roof strength from and integrated support that's built into the sunroof track assembly.
So, yes its possible to go the stock route if you want to pay a body shop to do the work. You may even be able to find one in the right color at a salvage yard. Otherwise, I was quoted $1k to have a "stock looking" electric sliding sunroof installed by a company who installs them. There's also the pop-up, manual style sunroof. Those would be cheaper.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Last edited by rains_crusader; 07-30-2014 at 07:17 PM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 05:33 AM
Contributor

JMHO, but if you're not an experienced moon/sun roof installer...best to leave this one to the pro's. Had T-tops installed in my 1984 Mustang (many moons ago) and went with "lowest" bidder = big mistake. Had to cut-up bicycle inner tubes to stop water from flowing inside. I was young/stupid and never went back to have the installer fix their mistake...never again.

06 Cobalt LS (for my daughter)
MSgt, USAF (Retired)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode