High Mount Stop Light Bulbs Burning Out - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

High Mount Stop Light Bulbs Burning Out

My '08 4dr LT has been having issues with the high mount stop light. In the past two years, I have replaced all three bulbs no less than three times each.

This is what would happen: one would burn out, so I would replace it. Shortly thereafter, the other two would burn out. I would replace the two, and the third would go out. I know nothing about electrical, but my theory was that maybe there was an incompatibility with bulbs from different manufactures. With that in mind, this last time around I just KNEW I could beat the system by replacing all three simultaneously with bulbs from the same mfgr and batch. Yeah, not ten days later, one is already out.

I'm in AZ and this has been an average hot summer with daily temps around 105-112F. Most recently it has been wetter than usual. Not sure if either weather condition is relevant, but its all I can think of, outside of the bulbs, that may be contributing to the problem.

Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I think they use the 912LL series not 914. The LL stands for long life and the filament is mounted in a shock resistant manner inside the glass. This is so you don't break the filament everytime you close the trunk. Your other solution would be to go LED with bleeder resistor if you have cruise.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode