Projector Headlights with HIDs - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Projector Headlights with HIDs

I have a 2006 cobalt sedan that I am in the process of customizing. I have HIDs in my stock headlight housings, but I want to get projector headlights with already installed with or come with HIDs. I'm having trouble finding headlights that come with both high/low beam HIDs. Any help or suggestions?

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

Preferably ccfl halos as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 04:52 PM
Contributor

Your best bet is to just build your own. Those aftermarket projector lights are also not meant for HIDs. They say the Gen 4 Depo headlights do a decent job with HIDs, but you're still going to get better performance with projectors that are meant for HIDs. You can retrofit your own headlights or find somebody on here who can sell you their retrofit. Most people go the easy route of retrofitting and go with the Mini H1 bi-xenon projectors. But if you want even better performance, then you'll have to do some cutting of your reflector so you mount the higher performing projectors that use the D2S HID bulbs. The advantage of using D2S bulbs is that you can go with OEM bulbs, like Philips. 2 popular D2S projectors are the EvoX-Rs and the FX-Rs. The EvoX-Rs seem to favor distance in high beam and the FX-Rs seem to favor width for low beam. I have the EvoX-Rs and I think both the low beams and high beams are great. The high beams are like driving through a tunnel of daylight. Oh, and if you retrofit, you can install your own halos. I would start off with the Mini-H1 projectors so you'd get comfortable with retrofitting your own lights. Then maybe a year or two down the road, you can upgrade to much nicer projectors. All these projectors can be purchased at The Retrofit Source. HID Planet also has a lot of information. There's a lot of "how-tos" floating around on this forum too.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Approx. how much did you spend retrofitting yours?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 10:31 PM
Contributor

The first time, with Mini H1s. Probably a little over $300. That's for the projectors, bulbs, and new ballasts. I'm still using the relay harness that came with my old HID kit. My new retrofit with EvoX-Rs was around $600. That's for the projectors, Philips D2S bulbs, LED halo rings, premium shrouds, AMP to D2S adapters, and a fresh new pair of headlights to stuff all this into. I also had to custom make a relay harness that would plug into the DRL fuse slot with a fuse tap so my halos will function as my DRLs. Works great.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Unfortunately that's more than I can afford but I found a pair of headlights that come with HID lows installed and are easy installation for about $300 off the regular price so I will probably just do that. But I appreciate the help anyways.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 06:29 PM
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
[attach][attach]Projector Headlights with HIDs-10711433_10154668543135594_318821866_n.jpg[/attach][/attach]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cobalt 2.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cobalt Blue Eyes.jpg
Views:	747
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	1962  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 06:31 PM
YourCobalt.com Premium Member