Nasty Stock Shifter - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Nasty Stock Shifter

Well I am getting pretty tired of the nasty feeling stock manual shifter knob, so it is time to get something nicer. The stock knob feels sticky and cheap and the boot is starting to fall apart so it is time for an upgrade. Is there any website that sells shifter knobs/boots that fit on the stock shifter assembly? I do not want to buy a short shift kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure most universal ones will fit. Although I'm sure a search on the site here will give you some ideas of what to get
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Might as well swap the shifter for a short throw while you're at it. Not only will it look and feel better, you'll cut time between shifts. I went with a TWM STS. The stick is 2" shorter, comes with a weighted shift knob and is supposed to reduce throws by 38%. There are a few other brands like Cosmo, Hurst and another that escapes me at the moment. Look into those.

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 10:25 AM
Prospect

I have a 400g razo knob. Just adding a nice weighted knob made a huge difference. It came with 3 height settings to raise or lower the knob about 3/4 of and inch. I find that the higher the knob is set, the smoother and easier the shift are. It makes sense when you think of the extra leverage gained by the extra height. I'd love to try a short shift setup to feel the difference over stock though. But the short shift kits are 250$ roughly, where you can get a nice weighted knob for 40$-80$. I wish I could find just the ball and shafts from the SS kit. I don't need the reverse lockout mechanism or a knob, which is where half the money you pay goes to. If your willing to spend more, consider the short shift. I also removed my shift boot, and that made things feel a little smoother as well.

Last edited by UnkleRaRa; 11-09-2014 at 10:30 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 06:21 PM
Forum Regular

They are kind of pricy, but
https://redlinegoods.com/Cobalt0507shiftboot.php
sells custom boots. In the same section at the top, they mention a shift knob too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode