Change Reverse Lights to Brake Lights - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Change Reverse Lights to Brake Lights

For entertainment, I have been thinking about getting rid of the white on the reverse lights (changing it to red), and then hooking them up to act like the brake and turn signal lights. I think it would look much better and would clean up the back end of the car. My reverse lights have been out for a while because I just haven't had time to change the sensor, so not having them doesn't bother me.
What would be the easiest way to do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
"Ask not what my monster truck can do for you, ask instead what you can do for my monster truck."

-JFK
Quote:
And on this day the good Lord said, 'Let the big wheeled vehicle pass on into Heaven.'
Quote:
Speed isn't everything. Sometimes, you just need a little style and flair in your monster trucking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
If your back-up lights don't work it won't pass inspection.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

No inspection here!
And looking into maybe changing 3rd brake light to reverse if i need it.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

That would look cool. You could put those led reverse lights on the bottom of the bumper
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 09:43 PM
Forum Regular

you should be able to make this work if you tied in your reverse lights into your turn signal wires, but you would have to get your sensor working or they wont act as reverse lights ever again, unless this is your goal, in which case its as simple as running wires from your brake lights to your reverse lights.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

And thats what I thought would work, but it almost sounded too simple.

But I have thought about running the 3rd brake light as the reverse light and getting a clear lens in that, but I would need to fix the sensor to even test that part.

Quote:
"Ask not what my monster truck can do for you, ask instead what you can do for my monster truck."

-JFK
Quote:
And on this day the good Lord said, 'Let the big wheeled vehicle pass on into Heaven.'
Quote:
Speed isn't everything. Sometimes, you just need a little style and flair in your monster trucking.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 06:06 PM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I wouldn't even try to screw around with the CHMSL - which has been government-mandated since 1986. It also is too high up to be an effective reverse light anyway.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP81 View Post
I wouldn't even try to screw around with the CHMSL - which has been government-mandated since 1986. It also is too high up to be an effective reverse light anyway.
Valid point. If the g5 coupe rear bumper fit, that would be an option since it has the lights mounted to it. Could mount a couple leds low in the back, but that would be hard to make look clean/mount.

Quote:

-JFK
Quote:
Quote:
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 09:37 PM
Veteran

Garage
You can mount the G5 rear bumper but you have to change your tail lights to the G5 as well and the trunk lid. I guess you wouldn't have to change your trunk of but it would look strange with both G5 tails and the cobalt reverse lights. I thought it would be cool to get a salvage G5 bumper and have the entire license plate/reverse lights area cut out and swap that section onto a cobalt bumper. It'd require a shop with plastic welding know-how and a fresh paint job on the modified bumper cover. Then you'd have the low mounted G5 reverse lights with the cobalt coupe dual tails. Then you'd be free to convert the trunk mounted reverse lights to full function tails.

Heaven Sent
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

It might even be easier to see how the g5 lights are mounted into the bumper and then try and mount them the same way into my bumper. I can plastic weld, and i know a couple people who could paint it, but thats a ton of work.

Quote:

-JFK
Quote:
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode