Aftermarket cruise control - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Aftermarket cruise control

Not sure how far that one went, but someone said they had it installed, and had the dealer program it.
I was waiting to see pictures, and hear how it's working out.

Could we get an update?
Thanks

Minor mods... Wheels, de-badged & de-trimmed, stereo, grill, intake, eyelids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Veteran

Yeah I'm curious about this also. Anyone have a price on this?

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Prospect

Rostra 250-1775 cruise control Hookup

Posted how I did it in the audio/video post. Repeated below.

Works great. If you'd still like pictures, I'll give it a shot (close quarters). I tried to make the instructions as clear as possible....

For those of you who don't have factory cruise, this one is a no brainer to install. 1 hr to install (with lots of double checking voltages with a fluke - I'm a perfectionist). Bought mine on Ebay for $80 bucks (including shipping). Had the dealer reprogram the BCM for $75.

Installation instructions (supplement to those provided with the kit):

1.) Pull the fuse cover off the passenger side of the center console. Pull the cup holder out of the center console by pulling the front part of it toward you and lifting it out. This is where you put the cruise radio receiver after you hook up the wires (below)

2.) Hook the Red and Blue wire together on the supplied harness. Tie them to a single igniton source. I used a simple pair of 18-22 gauge splices I bought at Advance Auto Parts for $1.98. One to splice to the blue wire to the red wire. One more to splice the red wire to the ignition source. The ignition source I used was one of the two pink wires coming out of the big C3 connector in the middle of the Body Control Module = BCM (fuse block). They come out of position D7 in the C3 connector. On a 2007 (and I'd bet all others) this is on the top row, slot 7. From left to right--slot 1=Red/Black [batt + voltage], there is no slot 2 [slot 1 is twice the normal size], slot 3= not used, slot 4= Red/White [batt + voltage], slot 5=D-Green [retained accessory power fuse supply voltage], slot 6=thick pink wire [ignition 1 voltage], slot 7=two thin pink wires [ignition 1 voltage])

3.) Hook the black ground wire from the harness to a bolt that attaches to bare metal inside the center console between the seats. Look around, one isn't too hard to find. I used one that bolts down the BCM on the left (looking straight at it).

4.) Hook the grey wire from the harness up per the instructions with the kit (location 61 of the C2 connector -- next to the white/black wire going into location 62). If the wire doesn't have the 0.64mm microconnector on it (mine didn't), get one from the dealer. GM part #15359541 (dealer charged me $0.75). They'll even crimp it for you if you ask. I fudged it with a pair of needlenose pliers. Just do it clean so it isn't much bigger than the end of the microconnector (it has to fit into the C2 plug).

5.)Thread the supplied wire harness inside the center console from the fuse block to the cupholder hole. Hook the wire harness to the supplied radio receiver. Secure it to the center console inside the hole where the cupholder goes. I used velcro strips with adhesive ($2.98 at Wal Mart). Put the cupholder back in.

6.) Mount the supplied push buttons to the steering wheel after you put the battery in.

7.) Go to the dealer, fork over $70-$80 for 10 minutes worth of labor and have them reprogram the Body Control Module (BCM) to tell it the cruise control is there.

You're done. Cruise works just like the factory cruise (indication through the instrument cluster). The dealer tech looked dumbfounded when it worked. $160 bucks invested.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 04:02 PM
Forum Regular

If you are still looking for cruise control... The Cruise Control Store
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode