Making Blue Headlight bulbs - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Question Making Blue Headlight bulbs

I dont have the 40 bucks to buy blue headlight bulbs so I was wondering If i could simply spray them with some kind of blue paint/metalcast and maybe it would work, or would tht damage the bulb with the chemicals? Has anyone done this...if so pics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Forum Regular

If you did this, I don't think they would glow blue. They would only look blue when turned off. I have Silverstars in my corner lenses that are colored silver but blink orange.

| 2006 Cobalt LS coupe | AEM intake | custom 2.25" exhaust w/ Magnaflow muffler | GMPP extrude honed manifold | SS/SC downpipe | Eibach Sportlines | Ingall's torque damper | eBay short shifter | DC Sports strut brace | black projectors | 17" MB Motorsports Drift wheels | 225/45/17R Kumho Ecstas | front Recaro seats from Ion Redline | 35% front sides; 20% back sides and rear tint | ARK shorty antenna | Niteshaded side markers and 3rd brake light | Beltronics Express 795 radar detector |
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 11:06 AM
Forum Regular

The problem with that is they get VERY hot. I've painted bulbs before with blue and it burned the paint, ended up lookin kinda off green when it was done.

Try Ebay, you can usually get a set of the cheaper brand bulbs that are still very bright for around 5 - 10 bucks shipping and all.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Thanks Ill try that!
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Forum Regular

The only problem with cheap bulbs is the life of them. I even had Silverstars in my projectors and they only lasted about 2-3 months. Be prepared to change them out on a constant basis.

| 2006 Cobalt LS coupe | AEM intake | custom 2.25" exhaust w/ Magnaflow muffler | GMPP extrude honed manifold | SS/SC downpipe | Eibach Sportlines | Ingall's torque damper | eBay short shifter | DC Sports strut brace | black projectors | 17" MB Motorsports Drift wheels | 225/45/17R Kumho Ecstas | front Recaro seats from Ion Redline | 35% front sides; 20% back sides and rear tint | ARK shorty antenna | Niteshaded side markers and 3rd brake light | Beltronics Express 795 radar detector |
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Forum Regular

Not always true. last ones i had lasted about a year and a half before the first went out. Just be sure you don't touch the bulb with your bare skin though, the oils from your skin will cause them to break or burn out in a short period of time. I always hook them up then wipe them down first with a cloth before installing them.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Forum Regular

One of the managers at work bought HID's off the internet. I'm not a big fan of the $90 HID's but they look good for being eBay headlights. I'm thinking of getting those for my 'balt. But the only way to get the "blue" look is only with HID's not the Silverstar or Silverstar Ultra's, they just shine a brighter white. Plus the price for Silverstar Ultra's are about $50 and the regular Silverstars are $40 and this is for the twin pack. You can get lucky and get them on sale at Advance cuz we just had a sale on them last month...25% off price. So you could get them for $28 for reg Silverstars and $35 for the Ultra's.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 02:59 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
Send a message via AIM to its just me
i bought a set of streetglow bulbs from the shop my step-father works at. they cost me about $20 and they're a noticeable blue...

kinda of a bad shot but still, they're blue! oh and they're pretty bright too. i put them in two days after i bought the car, almost 7 months later and haven't had a plroblem ;)

East Coast Cobalts: NY | Northern NY Cobalt Concepts | Facebook
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

how much and were?
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
Send a message via AIM to its just me
i paid about $20 for them. my stepfather is a mechanic so i bought them at the shop he works at. i don't think i've seen them anywhere else. here's the streetglow site though. hope that helps ;)

East Coast Cobalts: NY | Northern NY Cobalt Concepts | Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode