Question on Bumper - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Question Question on Bumper

I have a 2008 ls...and a very sad story lol. i took my gf out to apple bees and when i backed out of the parking spot i backed right up into this guy. I got out and it left a really big dent in the guys truck but didn't do any damage to my bumper. I hit him with the Back right corner of my bumper. It looks like the back bumper is plastic cuz it kinda shaved away a little of the bumper and left a lot of red paint but no dents...i was wondering if i should have it taken in and looked at? It looks fine, but i don't know if i damaged any thing, and could i of from just backing into someone? Mostly just worried about the frame and those crush cans or what ever there called that are in your bumper to reduce the impact when you get rear ended. Also is it possible for me to just buy a new bumper and put it on? Do the bumpers just bolt on, I'm not to car savvy when it comes to this stuff, so could i do it myself with a friend????
MY CAR...):

HIS CAR....

Last edited by Cod1628; 01-19-2008 at 10:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 10:03 PM
Forum Regular

damn a slammed Xtreme on 20's.... and he didnt kill you? lol... I would start with buffing it out and see what ya got after that
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Ya i know!!! i got out of the car and he didn't say anything, he was really quite about it. but i tried buffing it out and got all the paint off but its all scuffed up from where i hit him. i finally got the time to do it so I'll take a pic of it and post it here in a couple days when i get time, probably on Monday or tomorrow.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 08:04 AM
Veteran

If you buy another bumper it will just bolt right up..should take you about 1/2 an hour to an hour. However it may not be painted. If you can, buff as much out as you can and see if there is any noticeable physical damage to the bumper, if not then you can get primer and color matching paint/clear coat and fix it your self.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 01:17 PM
Forum Regular

either way, you should have full coverage insurance right? his truck is pretty bad, being dented on the body line and all.. so thats gunna cost you anyways.. so just get yours fixed too
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 04:20 PM
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to gibsonj4
I got backed into one of you guys lol but they left a month after I got my car. they tried to buff it out and it's on my rear bumper (opposite side tho). Luckily, some girl rearended my car when I was goin to school and I get an ss bumper cause I get a discount on parts since my mom works at a bodyshop

2V Mustang GT - Cammed/Sprayed - The "Mustake" - Sold
2010 Cobalt 2LT - SOLD!
Chrysler 300C Hemi K&N & Tune
2005 Cobalt SS Supercharged - E85 TVS 2.9 - SOLD!
2001 Corvette C5 6MT
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 04:38 PM
Forum Regular

I think that if you HAVE to change the bumper go for an SS type or an aftermarket one, it will probably cost you close to the same thing.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 06:18 PM
Cobalt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickasscobaltss View Post
I think that if you HAVE to change the bumper go for an SS type or an aftermarket one, it will probably cost you close to the same thing.
cheaper, in some cases:D
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Veteran

Some of the full body kits out there are priced around the same or cheaper than a replacement bumper from GM...

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 07:33 PM
Contributor

man that sucks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode