What Headlight Bulb to Choose? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

2Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

What Headlight Bulb to Choose?

Hello,

I recently bought a pair of LEDs headlight bulbs and now I知 returning them because the light just goes everywhere instead of in front of the car. I tried aiming them and it was not a success... Now I知 looking to buy regular halogen bulbs and there are a lot of models out there and wanted your opinion on them.

PIAA Xtreme White - 106$ CAD
GE Nighthawk PLATINUM - 53$ CAD
Silverstar ULTRA - 50$ CAD
Philips CrystalVision - 30$ CAD

What should I buy? Anybody still using halogen bulbs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 02:22 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I still use halogens but none of the ones you mention. I buy the cheap ones on eBay and they work great. Around 5800ーK gives you a nice white light.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 03:51 AM
Prospect

Well I can help you. PIAA and the ge don't last more than 16 months or so. Personally I'd go Philips or silverstar

---------- Post added at 09:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 AM ----------

I would get the Philips xtremevision. They don't have that blue tint on the bulb
Maple_man likes this.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 05:06 AM
Contributor

Garage
the xtreme visions are some of the best you can buy (just my opinion), and i do believe your local walmart carries them, i think thats where i got mine from.

i will warn you, people will think you are high beaming them and high beam you back, so be prepared to be blinded occasionally lol.

The Land Shark is coming for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
His iron was too hot and to big.
Bone stock 2006 Cobalt LS Laser Blue

https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...ml#post1340434
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

money-man: I wanted that blue tint so they would look white and not yellowish. Why do you insist on not getting blue ones? Did you have any bad experience? I already tried Silverstar Ultra and they don稚 last more than that either... I guess more light output = short life.

Maple_man: Thx for the input! I値l wait for money-man answer on blue tint bulbs and I知 probably order them! Are you sure your headlights were aimed properly? It痴 not supposed to be blinding when you put halogen bulbs in reflector designed for that...
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 05:51 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Because putting a blue tint over a halogen bulb is inherently going to reduce light output.

Silverstars are pretty damn white. I've had them on my Cavalier (low beams) since fall of 2012 now.

And that is correct - you shouldn't blind people with low-beams on - the lights are likely not aimed correctly.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar, K&N Intake, Trifecta Tune
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 05:53 AM
Contributor

Garage
yeah idk about the blue tint to the bulbs but i know my headlights havent been changed since my last bulbs. all i did was take the old bulbs out and put new ones in so they should still be aligned.

The Land Shark is coming for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
His iron was too hot and to big.
Bone stock 2006 Cobalt LS Laser Blue

https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...ml#post1340434
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP81 View Post
Because putting a blue tint over a halogen bulb is inherently going to reduce light output.

Silverstars are pretty damn white. I've had them on my Cavalier (low beams) since fall of 2012 now.

And that is correct - you shouldn't blind people with low-beams on - the lights are likely not aimed correctly.
Do you drive daily?! Last Silverstar Ultra set I bought lasted roughly 1 1/2 year... And yours 4 years?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 10:55 AM
Prospect

The blue tint lowers output and in most cases they use a higher wattage bulb and therefore it burns up sooner.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 11:34 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlivierBio View Post
Do you drive daily?! Last Silverstar Ultra set I bought lasted roughly 1 1/2 year... And yours 4 years?
Yes - this car isn't used every day in the spring/summer/fall anymore, but in the winter it's my daily.

I installed the bulbs at 220,883 miles, and as of yesterday's fillup, I'm at 250,786 miles.

So about 30,000 miles on them.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar, K&N Intake, Trifecta Tune
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties

Last edited by MP81; 07-06-2016 at 11:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode