hardwiring a garage door opener - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

hardwiring a garage door opener

Anyone ever hard wire a garage door opener? I am running a door opener that uses 6Volt battery power. I would like to hardwire this in to run off of the car power so I dont have to replace the batteries every like 3 months. Plus I want to hide the opener so it doesnt look so tacky.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Cobalt Master

you could base wire it to a cigarette lighter, you prolly dont need both lighter outlets, and you could stick it under the steering column, it will clip on nicely under there.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I was thinking of tapping into either the cig lighter, or the fuse box. but in either case those are 12V outputs and my garage door opener is 6V's. How do I step down the voltage to be able to use it.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 06:50 PM
Cobalt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skindad88 View Post
I was thinking of tapping into either the cig lighter, or the fuse box. but in either case those are 12V outputs and my garage door opener is 6V's. How do I step down the voltage to be able to use it.
put in some resistors, you can get them at any electronic store.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 10:18 PM
Staff Alumni

Garage
Send a message via MSN to biniecki Send a message via Yahoo to biniecki
where ever you get the power from your going to have to step it down. A resistor that big is going to be hard to find. However i did stubble across this. ACC-C10-5754 - VOLTAGE DROP 12V TO 6V CONVERTER Another option would be to wire up a voltage regulator from radioshack but that is a lot more complicated. To hide the opener I would find somewhere under the dash or something that i could hide the circuit board and wire it into the car. Then rewire the switch to a new one and mount that in a conveinient out of sight place such as the little cubby where the trunk switch is located.

2006 Cobalt LS 2.2L Ecotec
Show Off Thread

hailcesar quote - "I think you got the best transformation from Ls to badass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 08:07 AM
Staff Alumni

Garage
Send a message via MSN to biniecki Send a message via Yahoo to biniecki
Just because you think its pointless doesn't mean others wont find interest in it. If you do a search for it online you will see that lots of people have done this or want to do this. I think its a good idea personally for the clean look and no one would know that you have a door opener in your car to steal. I know people who have had their cars broke into just for the door opener and then ended up having their house broke into. The way I look at it is the less the a-holes can see what you have in your car the less chance you have of them breaking into your car to get something

2006 Cobalt LS 2.2L Ecotec
Show Off Thread

hailcesar quote - "I think you got the best transformation from Ls to badass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Last edited by biniecki; 03-23-2008 at 08:09 AM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

that and what if I wanted to put it on a motorcycle too? that way I wouldnt have to worry about the clicker falling off, I could just have a little easy access button I could just mash.

and thanks for the link to the converter.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 05:13 PM
Expert

Mount it in the compartment the trunk switch is in, thats where i put the toggle for my LED's. Fits well, easy access, and cant be seen from the outside. I cant think of anywhere to put in on a motorcycle that wouldnt look ridiculous.

My turbo lag is your courtesy head start.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Cobalt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBaltSS View Post
Mount it in the compartment the trunk switch is in, thats where i put the toggle for my LED's. Fits well, easy access, and cant be seen from the outside. I cant think of anywhere to put in on a motorcycle that wouldnt look ridiculous.
well, if you had bike bags on the back, but it all depends on the bike, there are places you can put it too
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nramlow2006 View Post
then go post in a motor cycle forum
this was just another example of where else it could be handy to have. My original question was what I needed to do to down convert the 12v to 6v so I could hardwire it into my balt.
Now unless you have something usefull to say how about you keep your mouth shut please.

back on topic... I think that hiding it in the trunk compartment is a good idea, although I was slightly considering a lighted led switch and sticking it next to the cigerette lighter... might be nice

Last edited by Chester; 03-24-2008 at 09:30 PM. Reason: name calling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode