Exterior Painting - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Exterior Painting

First of all, love the site. I was thinking about painting my stock grill in the front of my 2006 Cobalt LT white to match the exterior paint instead of swapping it with an aftermarket one. My question is what is the best paint to use to paint it since it is close to the engine?

Also, I wanted to paint my bowties white as well to match my white car. I have seen a couple of DIY on painting the bowties. I was wondering if it was ok to leave it on the car and covering up the area around it to paint or is it better to go ahead and take them off?

I plan on doing all of this on Sunday (4/6/0 if I could get any information before then because that is my only day off work for awhile. Any advice would help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 09:17 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony82286 View Post
My question is what is the best paint to use to paint it since it is close to the engine?
Any paint made for plastic will do, it isn't close enough to the engine to get hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony82286
I was wondering if it was ok to leave it on the car and covering up the area around it to paint or is it better to go ahead and take them off?
The bowtie is held on by two 10 mm nuts, it takes about 30 seconds to remove it. I recommend taking it off, it would be a lot of extra unneeded work to cover everything around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony82286
I plan on doing all of this on Sunday (4/6/0 if I could get any information before then because that is my only day off work for awhile. Any advice would help.
i recommend taking the grill out of the car for painting, it just makes it easier and less chance of getting the paint on something you don't want it on. There is a How To for doing a mesh grill made by yours truly, just follow the first couple steps to get the grill out and then paint it and put it back in. Start early in the morning so you can put it back in the evening when the paint is dry enough....Also if it is sunny where you are, stick it out in the sun to help it dry.

https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/ins...tml#post161785

As for the paint I used Rust-Oleum plastic paint, great coverage. There are a couple other brands and they don't need any primer or anything just clean the grill and paint it.

Last edited by nugz; 04-05-2008 at 09:20 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Sounds Good

Thanks for the advice. I will post some pictures of my car once I get it done and clean it.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 04:58 PM
Forum Regular

hurry up and get pics curious as to what it will look like

2006 Cobalt LT
Black X-Ray Edition
New straight through design muffler
Ebay Cold Air Intake
Front Badge Brushed Alum Bowtie w/ Autobot Transformer
Billet Grille
Tinted Tail Lights
Tinted Side Markers
Tinted Reverse Lights
Rear and Side Emblem Debadge
Strut Bar
Eyelids
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Contributor

Send a message via AIM to IncrediBalt
I'm curious to see an all-white nose. I hated my black LT grilles (especially the lowers), so I covered them all in mesh and painted my bowtie purple.

White '07 LT coupe with lotsa purple stuff.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

The Hard work is finally over with!

I finally found the time to paint the grill white today and I have painted both of the front and rear bowties on my Cobalt. I am letting them dry overnight and I will post the pictures of the results tomorrow morning after I put the grill back in and put the bowties back on. So far, it looks great.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Having Trouble!

I have the pictures of my car with the modifications on it, but I can't seem to find out how to attach the pictures in my reply. I have tried to use the INSERT IMAGE tool, but it is asking for a url, which I don't know how to recieve my picture's url. Is there anyone who could tell me step by step how to attach pictures in my reply?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 05:53 AM
Contributor

You need to upload your photos to an online photo album (i.e. PhotoBucket) and then cut-and paste the link that they give you for it.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

The results are in!!

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

After:

Overall:

Overall, I believe that it came out better than I expected. Any comments or opinions are welcomed, so tell me what you think.

Also, Here is my aftermarket head unit. It has dvd, navigation, ipod direct connect, and many other extras:

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Contributor

hmmmmm..... not really feeling the white grille, myself. Looks good otherwise. Love the electronics though! So the LT sedans came with integrated body-colored lower grilles?

Last edited by IncrediBalt; 04-08-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode