Clear coat coming off. - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Clear coat coming off.

Hey guys! So after a few close call of getting a new car, I've decided to keep my cobalt around and have some fun with it. The biggest issue I have, other than the lack of after market parts for a base model 4dr 2.2l, is that the clear coat on my car is starting to go. Worst spots are on the roof and hood. There are a few others beginning to show as well. I'm guessing the black paint is cooking it in the summer. What can be done about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 05:26 PM
Contributor

Leave it until the base coat is gone and enjoy a nice matt brown...or sand coating and re-paint
I understand Earl Sheibe would fix any car for $39.95......errr inflation,.... for just $99.95
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 09:30 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966tbird View Post
Leave it until the base coat is gone and enjoy a nice matt brown...or sand coating and re-paint
I understand Earl Sheibe would fix any car for $39.95......errr inflation,.... for just $99.95
Whos Earl?

Be Happy!
2010 Chevy Cobalt LT: K&N Air Intake, removed chevy emblem on the back, blacked out the chevy bowtie upfront, Red LED Underglow, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, Eibach Pro-kit Lowering Springs.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 10:31 PM
Contributor

earl scheib auto painting....Still in bussiness!
Best to look it up in Wikipedia

In the 50s-60s he would paint Any Car for $19.95 ...windows, bumpers, anything....you may even get it washed before it was painted.
Looked good from 2 ft away. Untill you took it to a car wash...then you might blow the paint off.

It is best to look at current painting "systems". Unless you want a CAMO paint scheme.

Bottom line, once clear coat is weather damaged enough to peal, base coat is damaged.
Solution: live with it or sand & paint the panel. And attempt to match the shade of the rest of the faded paint.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Well I can get the equipment. Sadly I lack the experience for autobody paint. I do know a few people who are though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode