Build Thread DF Goblin-kit Car - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By 1966tbird
  • 1 Post By 1966tbird

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Build Thread DF Goblin-kit Car

Hey all.
I just found out about a mid-engine kit car based on the Cheby Cobalt!
It's made just outside of Dallas, Tx, in Red Oak, Tx called a Goblin.
Their web site has some info, glitz, and as many others, plenty of missing info, data, and intel.

Now I am not the all knowing GM delta platform guru, thought I do have a frw screw drivers and I have stayed at the Holliday Inn Express more than twice.
I know without a dought I could assmble one these cars.

Now I do like the concept of a mid-engine roadster and first glance the goblin looks, to me, a crossetween a VW's Chenworth sand rail/ dune buggy and the Prisoner's, Lotus 7. And I do like the concept of both

Last night a quick search for reasonable donor car yielded Cobalts with as little as 40k miles for little more than shipping fees. Now as you can imagine, most of the donners, examined on line, might not pass local safety standards and were transported to the insurance yard by wrecker.

Another aspects include drive train mods including power, transmission & gearing and other creature comforts such as heater, AC, & tunes.

So chime in!
ask, suggest, tell or offer or help. All are welcome

I hope to drop by there shop tommorrow and get a little more intel to share.

So if the Admins & Mods allow this is a Cobalt modification I am looking at, not knowing what direction it will go or if it will ever mov under its own power. What I do know is I have been enjoying my 08 and having quite a bit of fun with it.
Parthros likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 08:20 PM
Expert

Garage
I'd be pretty surprised if the mods wanted to remove such a cool post

So, for a donor car, if you can find one, a stock Cobalt SS turbo would give you the most reliable power. I'm sure 260 HP on that little frame would be nice and quick! If you can't find one of those, a Supercharged SS would be my second choice, or an NA Cobalt Sport failing that. Of course, if the only donors you can find are base models, just make sure you get one that's 2007 or newer, as the 2005-06 models can't be tuned, so it's much more difficult to boost those. You'd need a stand-alone ECU for an 05-06.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

This will be cool. I'm definitely interested in seeing how this turns out. If the kit will work with a LNF engine.. go with that 100%. You could have one of those around 400whp with very little work.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Just returned from Red Oak, Tx and dfkitcars.
What great people and a realy neet/cool car.
It does use most of the lock stock LS&LT parts while some SS parts give the a little problem. We are talking abour 4 lug vs 5 lug Cobalt front hubs use as the rear drive wheels. Not a big issue just another thing to take into consideration.
Now at 1300-1500 lbs 150hp from a stock LS engine is nothing to sneeze at. For me, its hard to imagine what 300-800hp eotech in this Cobalt kit car.
Ill be going back very soon taking some of my toyz over fo a litle show & tell.

More later

C
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

I have been asked ......if.....kit is Canadian road ready too or did they just get US certification?......
A quick check from a Goblin builder in NH and a quick look on the Registration section on the DFKITCAR forum yields way too many stories. Alas none from Canada. It was just suggested to,me to look at the Factory5 forum. Similar to the Goblin but based on Subaru.

Now 7:00pm so too late today to pop over to gobblin central ans ask in person but a quick check on other kit car builds would not hurt.
PS the Goblin is registered local as a 57 Lotus 7 replica....if I understand correctly.

Upon further digging I find other Canadians have managed to sucessfully get their replica/kitcar leagally licensed, tagged and streat driven in Canada........
So start looking for that Canadian LNF donor
Parthros likes this.

BC

Last edited by 1966tbird; 07-10-2017 at 09:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
coby7 , mp81 , parthros

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode