How To: Wrap a Visor in Fabric Also Wrapping 101 - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior Interior DIY/ How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
How To: Wrap a Visor in Fabric Also Wrapping 101

This is a how to on how to wrap things in fabric specificly a visor in this case

What you need:
Fabric
Scissors
utility blade
flat head screw driver
fingers
patience
adhesive: I use spray adhesive from loctite that has on the can "heavy duty" read the back of the cans it will say "do not use on headliners".... dont use those ones lol.
hot glue
Hair dryer

First start by using your utility blade and cutting at the seem of your visor and letting it open itself up:

Second is to remove all the innards such as the mounting brackets and what not. The mirror you just kinda have to muscle it is plastic welded on the inside or you can cut the little spot welds. I painted all of my parts in white.

Then start peeling the existing fabric off and make sure to scrape any really big clumps of glue. In the zoomed in area there is a lot of adhesive.

Next size your fabric to your visor. I just lay it flat and cut around it roughly, like a finger tip or to your first knuckle, I suppose you could use chalk or something as long as you do it on the back side.

Next Lather the spray adhesive on thick, covering all your areas of the cardboard. the edges is where it sucks because your fabric will wanna pull up on the edges or corners particularly.

use your hair dryer and heat up the first side you want to put on fabric, with this brand of adhesive you should see it bubble and get very stringy, use your finger or flat head screw driver to touch it and make sure its not wet, not dry but an inbetweeb like a cob web. then lay it on your fabric, repeat the same for the other side, get all the bubbles off try not to peel it as much as possible because youll make the adhesive less sticky thus fabric falling down.

Next comes the wrapping You want about a finger tip of cloth around so you can wrap the fabric to the back side. Cut stress relief points around the edges of the fabric, this eliminates wrinkles, cut the relief points so there is at least the thickness of the carboard left so you dont see cuts on your edges.

to get the wrapped part to stick you can use either super glue or hot glue but i just sprayed a crap load of adhesive onto a piece of cardboard and then mixed it until it became gooy then slabbed it on like tiling kind of. did this procedure all around. at the corners make 2 directing towards the corner.

'

You will have to cut the holes that are covered here in order to wrap them obviously

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

its way easier than you think and than it looks, when you get done wrapping it all, then insert your pieces and hot glue them in place and then hot glue around the edges maybe add some piping or something and squish together with the hot glue and it should all be gravy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 09:09 PM
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to XFE
Nice write up!

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Some more finished products or mostly finished, I will take some photos of the painted pieces in the black velvet tomorrow.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 04:03 PM
Expert

Garage
looks neat man, gonna try this on my GFs visors, since theyre still gray and i recovered her headliner in black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltxfe09 View Post
:bangs****ingheadagainstthewall: :throwshandsupindisgust: i give up...lol
this is when mike decided to give up his balt ^^

http://s4.zetaboards.com/Cobalt_Universe/index/
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Newcomer

i did this in my car with purple fabric and black paint. looks sick. now i just need to find time to do the headliner...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 02:03 PM
Veteran

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to BlackLS Street Send a message via Skype™ to BlackLS Street
Nice write up!
I might look into this when I have a free weekend
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Veteran

Garage
Send a message via AIM to G5Steven
So if it is nothing but a heavy duty cardboard, then we should be able to go to the hardware store and buy some more of this stuff and make a sun Visor that actually BLOCKS the Sun, right?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 09:17 AM
Forum Regular

Thanks. Haven't been around for a while, so I didn't see this earlier. Just added this to my must-do list.

'08 Cobalt LS Coupe Victory Red | Showoff Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode