How To: Make Your Own Manual Shift Boot - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior Interior DIY/ How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

How To: Make Your Own Manual Shift Boot

Make Your Own Manual Shift Boot

1. Carefully disassemble your shift boot using a seam ripper paying attention to how the pieces were sewn right sides together. You'll end up with four pieces you can use as a pattern.

2. Use a sharpie pen and trace your pieces on the back side of your fabric/leather/vinyl. If using vinyl, get one that's not stiff, must be flexible. Cut your pieces out 1/8" outside your trace lines on the sides for a seam allowance. The dotted line represents where you cut. (If using the stock boot as a pattern, the narrow pieces are front/back, the wider pieces are the sides.) If you aren't using a stock knob, you may have to adjust the height. Add or take away at the TOP, not the bottom of your pieces.

3. Use extra strong upholstery thread. Machine sew (with a straight stitch) the pieces right sides together using a 1/8" seam exactly the way they were disassembled. If you don't know what this means, I recommend finding someone who does to sew for you, lol.

4. Turn your boot right side out. It should look something like this. At this point you can do a test fit over your retainer ring to check it's right.

The rest are the directions for my particular shift knob. If you have a different one, you'll have to figure out how to adapt these directions to your application.

5. In my case, it's easier to attach the boot to the knob before attaching it to the retainer ring. My shift knob looks like this.

6. Turn the shift boot inside out, and place the knob inside the boot, pushing it as far in as you can. Line up front/back of the knob with front/back of the boot. If narrow end of the boot doesn't fit tightly, you'll need to re-sew the seams at the narrow end so it does (don't need to remove old seam). Trim to 1/8" of your new seam.

7. Use a zip tie or the strong thread wrapped around the retainer ring of the shift knob. The zip tie isn't my first choice, it leaves a bulge that you can see, but it does work.

8. Turn the boot right side out again. The knob is now attached to the boot.

9. Attach the boot to the boot retainer ring by using the holes left from the staples to thread the boot onto the plastic boot retainer. Wear vinyl gloves (like medical/latex gloves) and use a small needle, and it will be easier to pull the needle through the small holes. You could add glue if you don't feel this is enough. This has always been enough for me.

Here's the final product before installing it into your car.

10. Reinstall into the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 07:24 AM
Expert

looks good !

Doesnt even look like this anymore but im still gonna keep this because its sweet

08' 2door Lt special Edition
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 06:00 AM
Newcomer

Garage
Could you do this on an automatic?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 10:50 AM
Contributor

Sure, but why would you??
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 10:07 AM
Newcomer

Garage
I just like how boots look, and who needs to see what gear you're in anyway? - I would like to get the shifter out of an 09+ auto - they have a shift boot stock but it doesn't cover the whole thing - but I'll probably make it - cheaper that way

Stock 2006 LT2 Silver Sedan - It's a work in progress...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 12:34 PM
Newcomer

Shift knob

I want to change the shifter on my base cobalt 05 but i can't find one that fits. the end its like a hook. any suggestions?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 02:14 PM
Forum Regular

Wow... very cool! Definitely plan to keep this in mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
diy , manual , shift boot

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode