How to Install Wood Trunk - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior Interior DIY/ How-to's

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
How to Install Wood Trunk

This has been on my mind for a while now, and after seeing ff_drift_lol's version, I decided to give it a shot.

Images will be up soon

Materials:
4x8 Sheet of Plywood
Carpeting or any other covering you'd prefer
Glue and or Staple Gun
Sandpaper (any grit you feel could round out 800 works fine)

Tools:
Sharpie
Reciprocating Saw
Skilsaw (If you want to (5))
Jigsaw
Table Saw
Palm Sander

1.Use two tables or an equivalent to balance the sheet of plywood on, this will be the table for which you work. In my case, I used a portable saw rack.

2. Once the temporary work station is setup, remove the trunk base from the car and set it on the plywood. From here, dismantle the base by separating the particle board and foam from the thin top carpet layer. There is a thin layer of glue holding the carpeted layer on so be careful not to tear is. Also remove the plastic handle. All you need to keep is the top carpet layer.

3. Now that the carpet is dismantled, place it onto the plywood. This is now your stencil. Align the bottom of the carpet layer with the edge of the 8 foot length side. This will make for less cutting and a guaranteed straightedge for the table saw.

4. Trace out the carpet layer with the sharpie onto the plywood.

5. Its challenging enough to deal with a 8 foot sheet of wood. So either use the Skilsaw or Reciprocating Saw and cut the board in half. This will leave you with your template and a manageable piece of wood to work with.

6. For this part, I took the square and clamped it to my Table Saw. This provided a low flat surface to cut on. Clamping the board to any table will work just as well. Push the boards edge that you are going to cut a good 1 1/2 feet off of the table and clamp the board down. (Be sure the clamping is tight, for this project pulsates a fair amount and that can be dangerous with Reciprocating Saws)

7. Use the Reciprocating Saw to cut stress cuts into the wood, ending on the traced line. The cuts can be an inch away from each other or less. These stress cuts relieve pressure allowing the Jigsaw to make its way around the trace without the blade sticking, twisting or snapping.

8. Use the Jigsaw and follow the line all the way around the traced outline.

9. Once the Jigsawing is complete, you can now see the shape of your trunk's base. Use the palm sander to sand out any imperfection.

10. The Cobalt's original trunk base layer was flexible so that it could be removed. The sheet of plywood obviously does not have that function. Therefore, the Table Saw comes into play. Line up the fence (straightedge) with the board. This requires only one cut to fit into the trunk. The cut should be in the middle of the board, as far away from any curved edges as possible on both sides.

11. The fitment should be instant. It's wood however, so finagle the back piece (piece touching rear seats) in first. Then do the same with the second half. Once fitment is good, remove both halves.

12. Here is where you can get creative. Apply your carpeting or linoleum or decorative wood. You can add a handle or you can use the stock plastic one. You can also insert it back into your trunk and apply hinges, therefore the half covering the battery will be able to rise but stay in place.

And there you have it. Any questions, concerns feel free to PM me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 09:03 PM
Contributor

Garage
Sounds like a good little project. I think I'm gonna do something similar but just carpet wrapped wood. I just want my trunk floor to be solid. lol

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
That's the exact thing i said. The cobalt base is so weak..., great idea with the whole battery in the trunk thing Chevy...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 02:17 PM
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

I like this idea,i'm wondering if a person could modify it to have a convenient way to access the spare tire in a situation where it was needed maybe a door over the spare tire? i may have to play around this idea if someone else doesnt because it's already a pain to get to it and the battery when you actually use your trunk like i do or even with just basic things such as tools in the back

Last edited by climertech; 01-07-2012 at 03:33 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Staff Alumni

Garage
I love the battery in the trunk. Protected from the elements, and better weight distribution. I have only had to clean corrosion from my battery once in five years, still stock battery too. At least they didnt put the battery in the genius location behind the fender splash guards like Dodge likes to do.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagnetti76 View Post
I love the battery in the trunk. Protected from the elements, and better weight distribution. I have only had to clean corrosion from my battery once in five years, still stock battery too. At least they didnt put the battery in the genius location behind the fender splash guards like Dodge likes to do.
Sorry if i was vague, i enjoy enjoy the location but i wouldnt mind a easier way to access it so this weekend or next im going to do the wood truck with the custom addition of a removable center for easier access to the battery and spare tire (because i unhook the battery often enough to justify it) talked it over with my buddy whos a carpenter and weve got a good hand on what were going to do and im going to focus on not making it look cheap/unprofessional
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 08:56 AM
Staff Alumni

Garage
Sorry climertec,
I was more reffering to this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by baines888 View Post
That's the exact thing i said. The cobalt base is so weak..., great idea with the whole battery in the trunk thing Chevy...
Not ranting or trying to be a d!ck ,just giving my opinion.

Anyway back on topic... I would love to see pictures of these when they are done. I always like drifts, just didnt want this mod in my car. lol

Last edited by scagnetti76; 01-08-2012 at 08:58 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagnetti76 View Post
Sorry climertec,
I was more reffering to this...

Not ranting or trying to be a d!ck ,just giving my opinion.

Anyway back on topic... I would love to see pictures of these when they are done. I always like drifts, just didnt want this mod in my car. lol
I'm working on mine today,my goal is to make it look stock and not like crap,i'm going to be using 2 sheets of plywood and create a lip and using straps similar to the ones on a back pack for handles for my idea and i may end up getting a new trunk liner from a junk cobalt and redoing it but we're going to see how it works out
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Forum Regular

Garage

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06slobalt View Post

Interesting, similar to my idea,as i was making mine i decided that i would like to access the battery as well and cutting for just the tire wouldn't be ideal so i cut mine to allow access to the spare tire and battery without strain,i also plan to reroute the positive battery cable so there isn't wood on top of it and make a slot for it to come out,i'm not sold on cutting up my carpet just yet so i'll probably try it out without cutting the carpet and then grab some carpet from a junker next weekend and do the actual cutting

i've also done mine a little bit different than the guide,i cut mine into 3 pieces instead of 2 and used 2 layers of a thiner cabinet board i had around to cover the entire trunk

Last edited by climertech; 01-08-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
base , carpet , trunk , wood

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode