How To: Replace Headliner Material - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior Interior DIY/ How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
How To: Replace Headliner Material

To start, if you need to know how to remove the headliner check this link to my how to on removal... https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/ins...headliner.html

The replacement of headliner material is pretty easy and straight forward if you follow these steps. Prior to this install I had attempted this about three times with failed end results.

What not to do: Initially when I did this project I used material from my local fabric store. Not only did I look ridiculous rummaging through piles of fabric at "Jo Anns" but I paid out the rear end too (mind you I tried this method more than once). Also, the spray adhesive you use will make a huge difference in whether or not you get sagging when the temp starts to spike around 100 degrees in the summer. Moral of the story, don't buy general adhesive from just anywhere.

What you will need:
1. Foam backed headliner upholstery: I bought a 63x60in piece and that was just big enough for the headliner, if you plan to do your visors you will need more. I bought mine off Ebay for roughly $25 and they typically ask $15 per extra yard which should be more than enough.
2. Headliner adhesive: I used 3M's Yellow super trim adhesive because of this statement "Designed for bonding vinyl tops, heavyweight liners and hood silencer pads where high strength and heat resistance are needed." (and I have personal interests in the co.!)
3. Utility knife
4. Scissors

Step 1: Remove the material from the headliner itself. Start in a corner and peel it away. Pull the entire piece off making sure not to pull out chunks of the foam liner itself.

Step 2: Lay your new material over top of the headliner and make sure there is a good amount of extra material around all corners and edges.

Step3: Cut a rough outline with your scissors of the headliner leaving around 2 inches of extra material all the way around.

Step 4: Spray adhesive all over headliner as directed on can; should be two layers overlapping.

Step 5: Lay liner material on top and begin to press it into the headliner. Make sure you get all the crevasses like the visor depressions and spots where the headliner is bolted to the roof.

Step 6: Cut away excess material slowly as to not over cut. For this I set the headliner standing up and started on the left cutting down, rotating it as I cut away at each side. You will want to leave the excess on the front and rear of the headliner to fold over since there is no molding to cover up if you dont get a straight edge.

Step 7: Respray the edges and problem areas where the material is not sticking particularly well. I had to go around all of the edges and respray since I focused on the middle so much the first go around. Set in time is quick so you should only have to apply pressure for a few seconds.

Step 8: Use your utility knife to cut out the holes where the coat hook, visors, sun roof switch go. I suggest making your initial cut from the back side to make sure you get it right the first time, then opening the hole from the front.

Step 9: Let the adhesive set in before you put the liner back in. I let it sit over night.

Your end result should look similar to this!

Remember that all of the edges are held in by trim or shroud so you dont need them to look 100% perfect just as close as possible.

That's it! Please follow the instructions and you will have an amazing looking and feeling headliner. Do as I initially did and you will either live with your mistake or redo it. I'm roughly $150 deep in headliner material and spray, not to mention the wasted time doing it incorrectly.

05 Mitsubishi Evolution 8
05 Chevy Cobalt LS (RIP 7/13/2013)
99 Nissan Altima GXE (Daily)
99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)
07 Jeep Liberty Limited (No longer the tow truck for the balt )

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com

Last edited by Blackbalts; 03-26-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 02:49 PM
Staff Alumni

Wow, this looks awesome. I have a couple questions.
1. Did you experience any bleed through from the adhesive?
2. You said the adhesive sets quickly. Do you have time to adjust as you position the fabric?

"You all know I take great pride in my title as Mr. Positive."
My Showoff
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni

Garage
1. Did you experience any bleed through from the adhesive?
This is exactly why you need the foam backed material. I experienced that with my first attempt last year with just regular material, the foam soaks up the extra adhesive instead of the material.

2. You said the adhesive sets quickly. Do you have time to adjust as you position the fabric?
According to 3M you have between 4 and 30 minutes before it's "set". I was able to make adjustments to it's orientation in the first 2 minutes and didn't need to move it again afterwards. This is exactly why I say to cut a rough outline with at least 2 inches of lead way in case you dont get it on exactly how you did in the initial mock up.

99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:45 AM
Staff Alumni

Garage
Send a message via MSN to biniecki Send a message via Yahoo to biniecki
Nice how to. I plan on doing this sometime in the near future. I picked up some material a time ago that I liked for it but I dont think its foam backed. Would you suggest possibly putting foam down first for none foam backed material? I would still be worried about bleed through when putting the regular material over the foam

2006 Cobalt LS 2.2L Ecotec
Show Off Thread

hailcesar quote - "I think you got the best transformation from Ls to badass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Last edited by Coby7; 03-26-2013 at 09:12 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 09:44 AM
Gawd of Thunda!
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SpeedyCobalt
got a pic of it in the balt yet?!

2005 Stealth grey metallic 2DR Standard Base Model
2006 Burnt Orange 2DR Standard SS
MY SHOWOFF THREAD

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni

Garage
It's in, but haven't taken a pic. Altima is down so had to take the balt out and rushed to change oil and reinstall door panels. I'll try and snag one tonight, but the trim around the sun roof didn't get done so I'm not happy with that part.

99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 09:46 AM
Gawd of Thunda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbalts View Post
It's in, but haven't taken a pic. Altima is down so had to take the balt out and rushed to change oil and reinstall door panels. I'll try and snag one tonight, but the trim around the sun roof didn't get done so I'm not happy with that part.
Contemplating doing this, just worried about it sagging,

MY SHOWOFF THREAD

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni

Garage
lol, get the right material and you wont have a problem.

99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 09:48 AM
Gawd of Thunda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbalts View Post
lol, get the right material and you wont have a problem.
knowing my luck this small arse town wont have it :P

MY SHOWOFF THREAD

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni

Garage
Ebay!! Or go to a shop that does interiors and buy some from them.

99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode