Window Motor, Gear Shift, and Turn Signal - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior Interior DIY/ How-to's

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Window Motor, Gear Shift, and Turn Signal

Hi guys. I've searched all over this forum for problems similar to mine but can't seem to find too much on these issues. I also apologize in advance if this is the wrong area to post, but all these are inside..so yeah.

So none of the problems I'm having are major issues (thank goodness!) but they are just annoying. I have a 2010 cobalt 4 door. I have minor skills but I can do my own tune-up so I feel like some of these can't be that difficult to fix.

One thing I noticed a few months ago is my gear shift always says I'm in drive. The little part that shows what gear your in is stuck (or broken) and I was wondering how difficult that is to fix? Is it even fixable? It's not super annoying, I just have to count to make sure I'm in the right gear. What do I have to remove to get to it? If its broken how would I go about getting the proper parts or what would I need to fix it?

Second one that is super annoying is I was turning left and my turn signal made a popping sound and after that when I turn corners the signal does not shut off. I have to manually shut it off. Since I was turning left and that's when it broke, currently when making left turns I have to either a) hold the signal down or b) fight with it until it stays down on it's own. It's very frustrating if I'm sitting at a light and I just have to hold the signal.

Third and probably the most annoying of them all, is mine drivers side window is not working. Its been temperamental for a a while now working majority of the time and then not working for a few days and then suddenly working again. All other windows seem to be working fine. Passenger side rear will occasionally not want to work either, but hit the button a few times and it will go. So I don't think its a fuse since the others are working and I'm almost certain it has power. If I push the button with the dome light on the lights and dash lights will dim slightly as normal so I don't think its a wiring problem. My question is can I change only the motor and not the whole regulator or do I have to change the entire thing. I am very confident I can fix this, I just wanna know what I'm working with.

Thank you for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 10:55 AM
Forum Regular

You probably need to replace the rod for the turn signals. I know it is a common issue with the Ions.
If it is the same part, I have an extra one I can sell yuh.

And I believe the motor and regulator are all one part. It isn't a hard job to do. Just tedious because everything is plastic and you need to be careful not to break anything.

Billy
Louisiana
03 Ion-1 Sedan (Topanga)
04 Ion-2
06 Ion Redline
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 11:33 AM
Expert

Garage
Check out this thread. There's a tear down of an auto shifter which shows the part you're talking about. You might be able to glue or tape it back on. If I were having the problem, I'd probably try to get creative about it.

https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/int...c-shifter.html

The turn indicator lever problem is pretty common. You can fix it yourself, but I'd probably buy a new one if it were me. Again, there's already a great thread about this.

https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/int...nal-lever.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 12:07 PM
Cobalt Master

The motor and regulator do seperate, you can change just the motor if that's the route you want to go, although I'm not entirely sure that's your problem. I would lean more towards the switch itself probably, if not the wiring or a connection somewhere

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

As far as the other two, just follow those links. Coby did a great job with those write ups as usual

Quote:
Speed isn't everything. Sometimes, you just need a little style and flare in your motoring.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 03:25 PM
Expert

Garage
Well, speak of the devil. After a measly 37000 miles, my turn signal is having the problem where it won't shut off after a right turn. That GM interior quality tho.

Quote:
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 05:01 AM
Forum Regular

bahaha, right? gotta love it!

Billy
Louisiana
03 Ion-1 Sedan (Topanga)
04 Ion-2
06 Ion Redline
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 06:21 AM
Expert

Garage
It baffles me how these cars can last for hundreds of thousands of miles with some of the most reliable engines and drive trains I've come across, yet GM's interior quality just doesn't match. Such is life.

Quote:
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 11:20 AM
Forum Regular

It is quite disappointing that so little care and thought was put into the interior design.

Do you guys have the issue with the arm rests breaking? Finding an Ion with a good arm rest is like a hitting the jackpot.

Billy
Louisiana
03 Ion-1 Sedan (Topanga)
04 Ion-2
06 Ion Redline
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 12:54 PM
Expert

Garage
The center armrest, or the door? Either way, I haven't had a problem with mine yet.

Quote:
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 11:17 PM
Forum Regular

The center arm rest.

Billy
Louisiana
03 Ion-1 Sedan (Topanga)
04 Ion-2
06 Ion Redline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags