How To: Replace Steering Column - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Maintenance DIY/How-to's for maintenance of your car.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Forum God

Garage
How To: Replace Steering Column

I did not write this. All Credit goes to "Loaded87IROC" from CSS

How to replace your power steering motor

My 05 Cobalt started having problems with the power steering at about 50k miles. It was pretty random, sometimes I wouldnt make it to the end of the block with it working an sometimes it would go 100+ miles of smooth operation. I decided that I wasnt going to pay the Chevy dealer the ridiculous prices I had heard being quoted ($1500 in some cases.) I bought a used column off Ebay for $100 and switched it out myself. It was an easy and straight forward procedure. Its been a month or 2 since i did this but I think I got everything in the right order. Oh and BTW, use this guide at your own risk. I assume no responsibility for damages.

Tools needed:
- 7mm socket
- 10mm socket
- 13mm socket

First, make sure your vehicle is parked with the wheels perfectly straight. I failed to do this and had to pull the column back out and reinsert it because the wheel was a little crooked when driving straight.

At this point it would be a good idea to unplug the battery because you will be unplugging the connectors to the column which include the airbag. I believe it is possible to do this without unplugging them, but I didnt want to risk damaging them by pulling on them too much.

Start off by removing the lower dash piece by your knees. It is held on by metal clips that are pretty strong, so you have to pull kinda hard. Make sure to unplug the connector for the trunk release. You can see the locations of the clips in the following pic.

Remove the metal bar in the next picture by undoing the 2 7mm bolts.

After removing that, remove the plastic cover on the column. It should be 3 7mm bolts. Unhook all the electrical connectors to the column. Unbolt the 2 13mm bolts Holding the column up and it should drop down. You should be able to access the 3 10mm bolts that attach the column to the power steering unit. They are in a triangle shape. Here is a pic that shows the bolt locations.

You should now be able to pull the column out of the vehicle by pulling straight out on it. Undo the electrical connections to the power steering unit. Next, undo the bolt that connects the power steering unit to the steering shaft. The final bolt is a very long 13mm that is accessed through the left side(where the storage cubby thing normaly is.) It is a bit tricky to remove. Support the power steering unit as you remove this bolt because it will fall when the bolt is slid out. After lowering it you should be able to slide it out of the steering shaft, If not you might have to pry a little in between the "U" shaped attachment. Be carefull not to pull too much on the shaft as this might dislodge the rubber boot where it passes through the firewall and its kind of hard to pop back in. Here is a pic of the connection to the steering shaft.

Putting the new unit in is the reverse of removing it, just make sure you take a break because holding the new power steering unit up while you slide the long 13mm bolt in through the side is no fun. It gets heavy pretty fast. After that everything goes together very easily. Make sure you have everything plugged in well before reconnecting the battery. Also make sure not to overtighten the bolts that hold the steering column cover on, as this will make it hard to turn the key on and off.

I apologize if I forgot anything and for any spelliing errors I may have made. I didnt really go through and proof read it. Feel free to PM or email me with any questions you might have or if you need any further pictures or explanation. Good luck!

I did not write this. All Credit goes to "Loaded87IROC" from CSS

SOLD! 2.2 TURBOCHARGED. GT28 TURBO, 60# INJECTORS, WISECO PISTONS, EAGLE CONNECTING RODS, ZZP 3" DOWNPIPE, PACESETTER EXHAUST, K&N INTAKE, CUSTOM COLDSIDE PIPING, DEJON HOTSIDE PIPING, 2.4 INTAKE MANIFOLD,2.4 THROTTLE BODY, TRIFECTA TUNED.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Last edited by XFE; 01-06-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Cobalt Master

Garage
Nice write up sir.

Useful too for the 68% of use that have or will probably develop that pesky problem.

^^<==---___-A_m_e_r_i_c_a_n M_u_s_c_l_e-___---==>^^
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Forum God

Garage
Didn't write it...Just found it on CSS. Credit goes to "Loaded87IROC"

SOLD! 2.2 TURBOCHARGED. GT28 TURBO, 60# INJECTORS, WISECO PISTONS, EAGLE CONNECTING RODS, ZZP 3" DOWNPIPE, PACESETTER EXHAUST, K&N INTAKE, CUSTOM COLDSIDE PIPING, DEJON HOTSIDE PIPING, 2.4 INTAKE MANIFOLD,2.4 THROTTLE BODY, TRIFECTA TUNED.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Cobalt Master

Garage
What a poopyhead

^^<==---___-A_m_e_r_i_c_a_n M_u_s_c_l_e-___---==>^^
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Forum God

Garage
who?

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Forum God

Garage
Bump since there's a lot of peepz online

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 03:21 AM
Forum Regular

I wonder if you could replace the the column with one of the same year to add audio controls and cruise control to a vehicle the was not originally equipped with them.

Current Mods: Eibach Pro-kit springs and anti-roll kit, KYB Excell-G struts and shocks, Moog sway links, Prothane Front Control Arm Bushings (coming soon)

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Expert

ahh yes...if i had a penny for how many times ive done this...

mods... tinted taillights, 1000 watt alpine mono amp, 2 10 inch alpine type "r" subs, basspro slot ported box, xm radio, alpine 6x9 rear speekers, alpine 6.5 front speekers (both type "s",09SS front bumper and lip,black factory headlights, 12k foglights, 10k headlights, slp catback,fe5 suspension with sportlines,black carpet, painted plastics (black) huge custom pink monster sticker... and ofcourse.... BLACKED OUT!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Forum God

Garage
So this is correct right?

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowbalt View Post
So this is correct right?
yeah.. itll work...MAKE SURE YER WHEELS ARE STRIGHT BEFORE U TAIR IT APART...!

mods... tinted taillights, 1000 watt alpine mono amp, 2 10 inch alpine type "r" subs, basspro slot ported box, xm radio, alpine 6x9 rear speekers, alpine 6.5 front speekers (both type "s",09SS front bumper and lip,black factory headlights, 12k foglights, 10k headlights, slp catback,fe5 suspension with sportlines,black carpet, painted plastics (black) huge custom pink monster sticker... and ofcourse.... BLACKED OUT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
power steering

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode