Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA.
How To Change Your Fuel Filter
This is from the Haynes Manual, but I added my recommendations as well.
Fuel Filter Replacement
1. The fuel filter is mounted under the vehicle, near the fuel tank. NOTE: on 2007 models with California PZEV emissions systems, the fuel filter is part of the fuel pump module assembly in the fuel tank.
2. Relieve the fuel system pressure.
3. Raise the vehicle up and support it with jackstands. (A car lift will work as well).
4. Inspect the fittings at both ends of the filter to see if they are clean. If more than a light coat of dust is present, clean the fittings before proceeding. (I would clean the no matter how much dust is on them, to help prevent fuel system contamination). (You may need a fuel line seperator tool. Most auto parts store carry them)
5. Disconnect the fuel lines at the fuel filter. Detach the lines, one at a time; be prepared for fuel spillage.
6. After the lines are detached, check the fittings for damage and distortion. If they are damged in any way during removal, new ones must be used when the lines are reattached to the new filter.
7. Remove the fuel filter from the mounting clamp, while noting the direction the fuel filter is installed.
8. Install the new filter in the same direction. When reconnecting the fuel lines, make sure the fittings attach securely - if they come off, a fire could result.
9. start the engine and check for fuel leaks.
Pictures will be added when I change mine.
2009 Imperial Blue Metallic Cobalt SS/TC Sedan - "Stock":
2008 Victory Red HHR SS - Stock
2005 Chili Pepper Red Ion Redline - Stock
2007 Sunburst Orange Metallic LS Coupe - Sold