Power Windows - Help! - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Maintenance DIY/How-to's for maintenance of your car.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Question Power Windows - Help!

I have a 2005 cobalt 4dr.
this car has been great except for a few problems, power steering went out due to that recall a few years back, gm wouldnt cover that, even though it was recalled i had to pay out of pocket.

shortly after that happened 3 out of my 4 power windows stopped rolling down, no click, no noises nothing, i know its usually motor that needs to be replaced but i find it strange 3 windows all did it within a few months. (driver and 2 rear windows are broke. front passenger works great) does this sound like a random coincidence of all the motors going, or like an electrical problem to you guys? last time i checked window motors ran at 125 new, i dont have the cash to replace those, but i sure in hell cant afford electrical repairs either i would imagine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 12:34 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to djryanss
might be a good idea to bust out a multimeter and start going down the line starting with the motor. If it has power when "activated" problem solved.

Audio Mods:
Pioneer DEH-X8500BH HU with USB Input install, Kicker KS62's, Alpine Type S 6x9's

Interior: Under Construction

Exterior Mods:
Debadged
3 side Tint
Wind Deflectors

Engine Mods:
Vibrant Performance 4-2-1 Headers
Cold Air Intake w K&N Air Filter
Siemens 42# Injectors
2.7" Quick Change Pulley

http://www.syndicateoftuners.com
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

i do not own a multimeter. i am not a very big car guy, therefore, i have standard non car tools. do you think perhaps advanced autoparts or autozone might check the wiring for me for free if i pull the paneling off????

if somethings broken, give me an hour with my hands and i can figure it out. if i cant find the problem that way, give me an hour with a laptop and i can usually figure it out. I just recently started working on cars as a hobby, ive been replacing parts in my friends truck for about a month ago, and ive been reading non stop on here and a few other sites. So im new to this car thing :P

---------- Post added at 03:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 AM ----------

(correct me if im wrong) it cant be fuses because all 4 windows would stop if it was blown.
perhaps shoddy cheap switches that malfunctioned?
loose wires?
if it was a ground out wouldnt it either be all 4 windows or just one side of car and not 3 windows? i figure they ran rear windows thru front...like i said im a NOOB at this :/
but what other way than research, than trial and error ya know?

---------- Post added at 03:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 AM ----------

also, would putting headlights/dome lights on and hitting the switch dim the lights??? that would help determine whether its electrical or mechanical.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 01:51 AM
Staff Alumni

Recall is covered no matter what. You DO NOT have to pay out of pocket. Contact GM immediately to get your money back.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

gm said the recall was already used up before we got the car. their replacement part had the same issue as the part they originally replaced, but the second one had a different model number so it wasnt under the recall. a dealership had my vehicle for 3 weeks while they put in a request to gm, and i was personally on the phone with multiple managers. probably not going chevy again after that shit.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 04:55 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Cobalt door switches hate rain. If at any point your drivers door was exposed, chances are the switches are bad. Take the panel apart and investigate.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

when i press any of the switches the dome light dims. so doesnt that rule out all electrical problems? i guess the 3 windows must be that all the motors went bad?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 03:27 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Would be one hell of a coincidence but could happen. If lights dim, sure looks like switch is working.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

idk how sensitive window motors are but maybe dirt/grime caught up in there could stop it from working? idk anybody have any ideas besides motor based on what ive found so far?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode