How Do I Keep My Cobalt Running Perfectly? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Maintenance DIY/How-to's for maintenance of your car.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

How Do I Keep My Cobalt Running Perfectly?

Hi! My Cobalt is a 2010 base model (no power windows or locks ((except for the Karr Alarm that has auto locks)) with 51353 miles on it. I changed the Spark plugs at 50k, and while I know they're good until 100k I received this car from my uncle and wanted to start a fresh record.

Here is an Album of the Spark Plugs I removed Removed Spark Plugs - Imgur and yes I certainly replaced them with the appropriate ACDelco plugs. These were changed November 26, 2013. Here is an album of my fuel mileage that shows improvements post new Plugs Gas Mileage Album - Imgur however sometimes I do spend a lot of time driving in the city or I end up driving it a little hard and as you can see over the past few weeks my recent new year resolution has been to take it a little easier on the speeding haha.

Now my Cobalt runs perfectly and I'd like to keep it this way. Can you help me name things aside from the usual maintenance that can help me go the extra mile in taking care of my beauty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 07:37 PM
Staff Alumni

I may be in the minority on this, but I like to change all fluids by old school standards. I just can't bring myself to leave fluids in for 100K. IMO fluids are cheap insurance if you do it yourself. In addition, fuel filter and air filter at regular intervals.

As far as other stuff is concerned, I clay my car twice per year and give it a good wax every 3-4 months.

"You all know I take great pride in my title as Mr. Positive."
My Showoff
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, do everything early and youll be good.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 10:34 AM
Forum Regular

That's a good question. I spend as little money as posible but keep my cars clean and do regular maintenance. I have very few real problems and when I do I get it taken care of right away. That's all.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 03:26 PM
Prospect

not sure where you live, but if there is any salt on the road, make sure to give the underside a good rinse when it starts to warm up.

you don't see the underside every day,, but there are a few things there which will rust and cost you some $$ after a while.

read the owners' manual. https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...alt_owners.pdf

from page 5-102

Underbody Maintenance
Chemicals used for ice and snow removal and dust
control can collect on the underbody. If these are
not removed, corrosion and rust can develop on the
underbody parts such as fuel lines, frame, floor pan,
and exhaust system even though they have corrosion
protection.
At least every spring, flush these materials from the
underbody with plain water. Clean any areas where mud
and debris can collect. Dirt packed in close areas of
the frame should be loosened before being flushed.
Your dealer/retailer or an underbody car washing system
can do this for you.

Mike

Free advice is worth what you pay for it (sometimes)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 05:30 PM
Forum Regular

Since you said KM I'm going to assuming you're Canadian like me, and have to deal with our amazingly awesome road salting. What I did was get the yearly under coating from Ziebart.

Also, every 60,000 - 70,000km I change my spark plugs, fuel filter and transmission fluid (manual transmission). Also, rather than the 5,000km oil changes, I use synthetic oil and change it every 3,500km - 4,000km. Excessive...yup. Does my car have engine noise...NOPE. I swear my engine cleans the oil. I also don't use aftermarket filters. GM filters are like $8 each, and if you plan on doing them yourself, buy several at once so you don't keep putting off your oil change since you don't have a filter. I usually buy 5 or 6 at a time since both me and my fiancee have the EcoTec engine. I have a cold air intake, and try to at least blow it out on a regular basis.

Also, like others have said, any issues, take care of them immediately. I had my intermediate steering shaft seize up, it was changed within 36 hours of me noticing anything. Also, my control arm bushing let go, that was changed the next day.

Also, some people may overlook this, but your cabin air filter should be changed regularily. You never know what can get stuck in there, whether it be leaves or a mouse. Also, when you change it, either reach your hand into the fan and make sure there's no debris or take the fan out to make sure. An out of balance fan can end up costing you some money.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 07:23 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum God

Make sure if it's a manual you use ATF not manual transmission fluid, in the early 2000's GM changed all their manuals to use ATF so they only use one fluid in the factory instead of multiple.

2009 Cobalt LS XFE (F23) Victory Red
YYZ V.3 Springs, Koni shocks/struts, Powell XXX rear swaybar, Brembo brake swap, 5 lug conversion, Ion Redline wheels, SS/SC interior swap including power conversion, K&N intake, Trifecta tune, Ark Performance N-II catback, Ark shorty antenna, SS body kit, Powell F23 rotated mount, LNF rear mount, Powell CABs
Soon to come- EFR 6758 turbo kit and make Retro Headlights.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 11:14 AM
Forum Regular

Sea foam motor cleaner every 25k miles works great. Sea Foam Motor Treatment for Gas and Diesel Engines (16 fl. oz.) SF16: Upgrade with the best Fuel Treatment at Advance Auto Parts

You just pour this stuff into your gas tank and it cleans everything up very nicely. You can also pour it in your oil to clean out the rest of your system. It boosted up my gas mileage about 2 mpg after the first time I added it and it's been keeping things running nicely.

Last edited by JBronski; 08-03-2014 at 11:17 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

You just have to be careful you don't put too much in. I've read about seafoam causing harm if you don't follow instructions

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 12:08 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanman35 View Post
You just have to be careful you don't put too much in. I've read about seafoam causing harm if you don't follow instructions

Yes that is true, one bottle per tank of gas and be careful when you add it to oil to make sure you get the measurements correct. Do it right and it works great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
2010 cobalt , great maintenance , loving your cobalt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode