Clunk-Clunk at Every Bump Juan Motime - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Maintenance DIY/How-to's for maintenance of your car.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Clunk-Clunk at Every Bump Juan Motime

Ok the BC is doing well with but. ................................. I WTB a FE5 front sway bar.
As a recap.
@113600miles, New aluminum Lower Control arms, Delco FE5 struts & shocks with new 250mm cheap sway bar links.
Grabed hold,of intermediat shaft and feel no runnout or binding. Yet there is still a little pop, knock, bump. It seems as though it is in the RF.....most of the time. Most noticable at low speed (2-5mph) over smooth but uneven pavement.

I took hold of the sway bar and physically shook it trying to feel for play in bushings. Didnt think it would work...it didnt.
Checked for loose ball join squeeze bolts, LCA bushing bolts, link bolts. I even checked front engine cradle bolts for signs of movement.

So I am still leaning on sway bar bushings.

With that i am looking for a good FE5 front,sway bar. Or. I WTB front sway bar and will just replace the intermediat shaft at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

@Coby7

When i did my front end parts, i reused the springs and old spring isolators.
Is it a good probability the knocking i could be hearing is from an old isolator?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 06:28 PM
Forum Regular

Did you tighten the upper nuts? It happened to me when installed them

Be Happy!
2010 Chevy Cobalt LT: K&N Air Intake, removed chevy emblem on the back, blacked out the chevy bowtie upfront, Red LED Underglow, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, Eibach Pro-kit Lowering Springs.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Yes i did. Just before releasing the spring compressor. Then again after the 3 mounting bolts were torqued.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Ok
Front sway bar on it's way in
Ordering the i shaft from Rock Auto next
Need to order clamps and bar bushings next
Then the FE5 springs. All 4.

Keeping this open to add part numbers

Also found a ervice bulliten to help identify i shaft? Problem
Copied from another forum
[QUOTE]...Service Information
Home Publications Number Search New Bulletins Bulletin Search Feedback Help
2009 Chevrolet Cobalt | Cobalt, G5 (VIN A) Service Manual | Document ID: 2239750
#04-03-08-006D: Steering and Front Suspension Noise Concerns - Clunk, Thump, Rattle, Knocking, Pop, Shudder, Vibration (Diagnosis and Perform Necessary Repairs) - (Feb 24, 2009.... [/QUOTE ]

Last edited by 1966tbird; 10-19-2016 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Adding part numbers
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

I received the I-shaft from Rock Auto and ROTFLMAO 2 sets of 2 Moog sway bar bushings @ $6.00/pair
So how was I to know.
Every one else sells a 2 bushing box for $13.00-$18.00 and one box has 2 bushings in it.

Rock Auto lists "bushing" $6.00.
Well you don't want to be short of parts and my math says 2 x $6 < $13 so I order 2 bushings.
Ok ok I might be slow. And now I have a new extra set to have on hand. Now if the LC wants an FE5 sway bar for her LT, the bushings for it are in stock here. Good luck finding another 05-07 NOS FE5 sway bar.

Now just waiting on OOPS to deliver the sway bar and looking for a bicycle inner tube to make a u-joint boot.
I think a latex personal shield just will not last long enough but would work for a short time.
Ok the sway bar is now within 30 miles. It made it to some where in TX.

Last edited by 1966tbird; 10-22-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
@coby7