Car Crash.. Home Repairable or No? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Maintenance DIY/How-to's for maintenance of your car.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By Coby7
  • 1 Post By 1966tbird
  • 2 Post By 1966tbird

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Car Crash.. Home Repairable or No?

Hey Everyone! I'm new to this forum but, I'm trying to reach out to people that might know more than me about Cobalts. I have a 2010 LT that still has about 89,000 miles and recently I got into an accident and messed up the entire front end of my car. The car still turns over and I can still move it....but, the driver airbag went off and the front end got smashed in. Do you guys think this is something that can be an at home fix, The only stuff that is messed up is the hood, bumper, and the front rail and frame rails. It doesn't look like I can just take them off though. Is it worth the fix or should this vehicle just be scraped. Does anyone know how to submit pictures btw, it doesn't let me attached them to my message.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage

Use a third party like imgur.com for posting it works great so far. Until we see pictures it's hard to tell
Parthros likes this.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 05:54 PM
Contributor

So sorry about your Cobalt. We all hope things work out the best for you.
Parthros likes this.

BC

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 09:31 AM
Expert

Garage
Sorry about the accident!

As Coby said, if you could upload some photos to imgur and link them here, we'd be able to get a better idea of how much work it'd take.

Of course, anything is doable with enough time and money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 08:34 AM
Initiate

If you are dedicated you can fix it unless it caught fire. I love working on my ecotech, im going to replace a tensioner on a 2.4l 2013 mlibu eco today and belt
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thanks for the information everyone. I've actually attached all the photos to the gallery link through the forum if you wanted to go check it out that would be great!

---------- Post added at 08:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 AM ----------

https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/mem...epairable.html
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 08:12 AM
Expert

Garage
That looks like some significant damage to me. Although it's technically possible to repair it, I don't think it'd really be worth the effort. Looks kinda like you'd have to rebuild nearly the entire front end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 01:57 AM
Contributor

I see the radiator support needs replaced and I suppose all bumper cover, brackets, tabs...
And a 8 yr old Cobalt with 90k miles today brings ?.? $ that is in very good condition? ~$3k to $6k via a quick check on cargurus.com
Assuming all of the parts not seen need replaced excluding hood & fenders.....guessing about $2,500 in new price parts and paint and about 40 hr labor at shop rate.

Then again bailing wire & duck tape goes a long way and you can find a cobalt that was tagged in the tail or water loged for ~$1k plus shipping and be out labor, paint and have a ton of Spair cobalt parts.

Look for Coparts and see what’s available near you for Salvage Cobalts.

And since the air bag was activated. Count on seat belts, airbags and a trip to your local friendly TechII GM programming source. Be ready to be taken for a ride around the by your local dealership for each question. If you decide to keep your Cobalt, might be time to get one for your self.
Parthros and BeforeDeth like this.

BC

Last edited by 1966tbird; 05-04-2018 at 02:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
cobalt , crash , repair

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode