Western Suburbs, Chicago - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
New Member Introductions For new members of YourCobalt.com to introduce themselves!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Lightbulb Western Suburbs, Chicago

Midwest Metal

When i bought my cobalt, i was just happy i could GET a car, with my piss-poor loser credit. now i really hate that i have the only thing in america as/more common than a civic. However I am beginning to like the idea of customize-ing it myself, now i just wish i got the SS, and since i did not, i of course want to make it the best lt in existance .... or well i DID. After a lot of rediculous dreaming, and dissapointment, i finally came up with a more realistic plan, that can progress into some really expensive mods if i actually pursue it.

i'm thinkin; to get in the 240-260HP range i could go with...

supercharger
2.4 manifold
header, high-flow cat, catback exhaust -2.5in
lightweight pullys (underdrive?)
engine/transmition mounts
b&m shift kit (i have an auto)

i think after a trifecta tune all this was close to like 3K, since i figure it would take like 3 years before i'm really done with that and most individual components can be bought at or less than about 250$, i think it's not an impossible feat, and could one-day happen.

a little less likely...

i want to convert the back to the sedan tail lights because it's not so easy to ID as a cobalt (really i just need the g5 back bumper trunk lid and rear lights, so it might not be so bad if i can get paint done without bieng raped)

air-ride suspension, i live in Chicago, i want to be able to drive/race with the car real low, but potholes are a b**ch, so i need clearance at random times, unfortunatly it will cost like nearly $1500, so it's MUCH less-likely.

and since i plan on keeping the car 'til it dies, one day, sometime after the warrentee is dead, it would be fun to use some tuned wet-shot nitrous to get the car to do just over 310 HP (YEAH RIGHT!! i know it's totally possible, ...and cheap, but in order to do more than 250HP i know the piston stem, or arm or whatever the part is called that the piston mounts to, needs replacement, and it's unlikely that i will open the engine up THAT much, plus it IS FWD)

i dont know if this sounds dumb or impossible, but i really think it's possible if i give it enough time, go slow and wait for all the right parts to be together before i get ahead of myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 09:34 AM
Expert

Garage
definately possible-ish lol
just if you wanna throw down the money for it is all
Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltxfe09 View Post
:bangs****ingheadagainstthewall: :throwshandsupindisgust: i give up...lol
this is when mike decided to give up his balt ^^

http://s4.zetaboards.com/Cobalt_Universe/index/
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

thats what i thought, i bought the thing new (ok it had 4500 miles on it, but thats nothing) and i have no kids/wife and i have a steady 9-5 job like every other joe jackoff so i actually can put that money into the car (i mean it's still gunna take like 3 years) the real question is can i dedicate to a distant goal long enough to actually see it happen, or will i start breakin stuff get frustrated and give up? .....it's a coin-toss really. i mean it's like i dropped out of highschool, but i also graduated college. it could go either way......i should start giving odds.

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philswrath View Post
definately possible-ish lol
just if you wanna throw down the money for it is all
Welcome
oh yea, and thanks alot phil.... Pantera fan?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 02:48 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerExpert

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ssscgirl
welcome to yc

2006 ss/sc G85 package K&n typhoon, Stage 2 Hurst sts
drilled and slotted rotors, painted calipers poly trans mounts 3'pulley.new megan exhaust new black headlights with hids
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 02:49 PM
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to XFE
Welcome to the forum.

If you are indeed going to go supercharged, the 2.4 manifold will be useless to you.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Contributor

Garage
welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will mpg View Post
I think that is the plan....

"Hey let's switch out Megan Fox for Jack Black. No one will notice that." lol
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFE View Post
Welcome to the forum.

If you are indeed going to go supercharged, the 2.4 manifold will be useless to you.
thanks, y would the maifold be useless? i figured more intake capacity would be a good thing since thats what the SC is going to provide, but i'm also an IT tech, so the stuff that seems logical to me might not transfer equally into the world of mechanics, either way, how would i not use the 2.4 manifold?
BTW i sorta got the idea after reading what you said about it
....i think

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis H. View Post
welcome
thanks, is your name really Travis?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 12:57 PM
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni

Because if you are going to put the supercharger on you need the LSJ Intake manifold. Thats the only one that the M62 will bolt up to. There is no way around it. TRUST me...

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

please cirtisize my plan, i need to know what i'm really getting into, 'cause in the end i kinda just want this thing to be an ultimate DD, mostly look nice, easy to drive, cool electronics (i told ya i'm a tech-head), and no slouch on the road when you really do wanna go. i think thats a plausable goal for this car.

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFE View Post
Because if you are going to put the supercharger on you need the LSJ Intake manifold. Thats the only one that the M62 will bolt up to. There is no way around it. TRUST me....
oh damn your totally right!, i should have noticed from all the parts lists, those 2 parts are in direct contact w/eachother they HAVE to match up, unless i try to fab up some kind of one-off (not gunna happen) thanks for the logic-check
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 01:07 PM
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap10H8Red View Post
please cirtisize my plan, i need to know what i'm really getting into, 'cause in the end i kinda just want this thing to be an ultimate DD, mostly look nice, easy to drive, cool electronics (i told ya i'm a tech-head), and no slouch on the road when you really do wanna go. i think thats a plausable goal for this car.

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

oh damn your totally right!, i should have noticed from all the parts lists, those 2 parts are in direct contact w/eachother they HAVE to match up, unless i try to fab up some kind of one-off (not gunna happen) thanks for the logic-check
Not to sound cocky...but yes i am right, Thanks.

IF you are serious about going supercharged. Please copy and paste the first post from this thread. Print that out and as you order/acquire the parts..check em off your list.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode