110K Miles and Still a Performer, Although... - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
New Member Introductions For new members of YourCobalt.com to introduce themselves!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Garage
Question 110K Miles and Still a Performer, Although...

...I am disappointed with the number of times I've had mine in the shop (dealer) since I purchased it new in '05. The latest trip for an oil change, and some dent repair work (the dealer previously caused 4 tiny dents along the fender when they replaced my clutch) resulted in yet another Reduced Engine Power situation. As I left the dealer the car went into REP mode and died on the main road right in front of the dealer. LOL

This time the REP was apparently caused by a loose/broken wire in the wiring harness, which the dealer repaired for $325. How something like that could just happen on its own is beyond me, but the dealer never admitted that it could have been caused by their handy work.

Previous REP mode occurrences were triggered by a bad Barometric Pressure Sensor, apparently a mis-installed air filter, and various other sensors that the dealer replaced when I had by first catalytic converter issue.

I've had my catalytic replaced twice under warranty, and now with 110K I'm hearing some squeaking/chirping sounds that appear to be coming from the exhaust manifold. I asked the dealer to quote replacing it with the GMPP extruded honed manifold, but they quoted me $700. Based on some research I've done, I think I'm just going to buy a stock manifold for $100 and replace it myself. The GMPP part is $285 and I've heard that it is just the stock part slightly modified with a dremel. (Any advise on this would be appreciated.)

I guess as for the rest of this post I just needed to vent. I wish I didn't have to rely on the dealer so much, but it seems like I have no choice with this car.

Last thing...front suspension is clunking and rattling at low speeds. Sounds expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 01:03 PM
Expert

Garage
thats some pretty bad luck man...sounds like u need to find a new dealer to take it to that wont keep messing up ur car...

mine is at around 108k right now, only had one issue with it so far, and that was a warped rotor which is my fault anyway lol

07 Laser Blue LT Sedan
My Car Domain:http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3805600
4 Doors = More Whores
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 01:05 PM
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GBALT05

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 01:14 PM
Get Out The Sawzall
Staff AlumniCobalt Master

Garage
Sorry to hear about all your trips to the stealership. But never the less welcome to the forum.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 04:04 AM
Contributor

Garage
welcome!!!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 10:24 PM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Welcome!

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 07:35 AM
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Welcome to the forum.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 10:14 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerContributor

Garage
dealer is my last resort for obvious reasons. i only go unless i absolutely have too. welcome

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode