New in Here with Some Questions: - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
New Member Introductions For new members of YourCobalt.com to introduce themselves!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Exclamation New in Here with Some Questions:

Hi, I am new to this forum. I have recently (within the past few months) purchased a Cobalt. I have some questions about it and I thought that this place was maybe my best chance of learning anything.

I have the base model sedan, not SS. It is an automatic with AC, no power group or cruise control. I have just over 10,000 miles on it now (had 37 when I purchased it) and I think that the fuel economy is rather low for this vehicle. I have yet to average (on the blue display) more than 28.4 mpg. This is with some pretty serious hwy driving. In fact, when I first purchased the car the blue display said that my estimated mileage for the fuel available was 412 miles. Today I filled up and it displayed that my range for the fill up was 337!!! What gives? My window sticker shows 24/33. How come I am always on the low end? My friend who has the same exact model, only with the power group and cruise, avgerages 34 mpg and she does mostly city driving. This cannot be right.

On that note, I was wondering if anyone could confirm my suspicions that the AC is always running. The reason I say this is because if I am driving and I only turn the fan on but hit the recirculation button, it gets mighty cold in my car (don't even need to use the AC). It's as if the AC is always on and somehow when I recirculate the air it is cooled by the coils automatically. The reason I suspect this is because today I cranked up the heat in the car, using outside air, outside temp was about 52'. When the car got good and warm inside I switched the recirculate button on and turned the heat all the way down. Now, by my calculations the car should have been recirculating the already warm cabin air back through and thusly it would have blown somewhat warm air out of the vents... not so. It blew substantially colder air than what was in the cabin of the car. How can this be unless it was being cooled by the always running AC.

Could this be why I am getting such poor mileage all the time? If anyone out there knows or has had similar issues or experiences please let me know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to camopaint0707
well the obvious answer is driver mod,

post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
It all depends on the acceleration and max speed, I know you can hold down a button and reset your stats maybe its just one or two days and you just accelerated hard.

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Welcome to the forum.

Yes, when you use the recirculate function it DOES turn on the A/C. This would have a lot to do with your mpg. You may also be driving a bit too fast.

post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 07:12 PM
I cut stuff
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
I'm pretty sure the recirc. button does run the A/C. look in your owners manual.

I am getting 35 mpg without even trying to get good mpg. When I was kind of trying I was getting 38 easy.

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

and Welcome!!
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Hmmm... well, from all the reading I have done in here so far, it is somewhat apparent that I am driving WAY TOO HARD! I normally cruise the hgwy at about 75- 80 MPH. I love how this little car just goes! So, it appears that I need to baby this thing quite a bit to really squeeze some good numbers out of her... what would some of you really high MPG achievers say was your average to max speed on the hgwy? I am also guessing that you never use the air recirculate switch either... I ALWAYS use it. I was REALLY hoping that you all in here would suggest a performance chip or maybe suggest where I can get an after market cruise control (GM will not do it). I have had cruise control for 13 years and used it religiously but alas, no more, this vehicle is rather bare bones as they go.

I appreciate all the tips and by the way, I forgot to mention that I live in NW PA. Glad to be Cobalt owner... even happier when I can get this guzzler to tease me with some really HOT mpgs...!

I am a Union Plumber... had to have a US, Union Made car... made just down the road from me over in OH! Can't do "supporting your local economy" better than that I think!

Last edited by worspan; 10-06-2010 at 07:43 PM.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by worspan View Post
well, from all the reading I have done in here so far, it is somewhat apparent that I am driving WAY TOO HARD! I normally cruise the hgwy at about 75- 80 MPH.
Wholly crap man, this is your problem.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 07:55 PM
I cut stuff

Garage
yeah that high of a speed will drink some serious gas lol.

I have never been much of a fan of cruise so I don't miss it in my car at all.

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

oh and using cruise will suck down more gas as well. go into the gas mileage threads here on YC and you can learn a lot of tips.

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

All about MPG
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni

Garage
Yes, you are driving way too fast. I drive between 60 and 65 on the interstate depending on circumstances. Now a lot of people will tell you that "oh if you drive that slow here you will get hit." It's not true and never has been, except maybe on the 294 in Chicago.

If I am driving by myself I do about 65. If I come across one of those trucks doing 60 or so I get behind them.

It's a good thing you do not have cruse control. Those things are horrible for mpg.

Here try this experiment:

Get on the interstate and speed up to 65 mph. Put your display in INST MPG at say 35 mpg by using lighter pressure with your foot. Check this display often as you go down the road, and vary the pressure with your foot to keep it at 35. You will find that you speed up going down hill and slow down going uphill. That's fine, as you are trying to keep up your mpg and not your speed.

People will fly by you like you are standing still, and some will be angry. Don't let them bother you. Most people on the road seem to think they are Mario Andretti.

Report back what results you get, and when you get it down try to maintain 37 mpg...

post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 07:56 PM
I cut stuff

Garage
listen to Will he is the master
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode