Hi from WV, Looking for SS Sedan - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
New Member Introductions For new members of YourCobalt.com to introduce themselves!

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 9
Hi from WV, Looking for SS Sedan

Greetings to all from Charleston WV. On here to learn more about the common problems and weak links in Cobalts that I should be watching for. For example, I am currently driving a Neon (please hold your applause and/or boos) and most Neon owners know that your tail light gaskets will leak, your motor mounts will fail, and your return oil passages in the head are too small causing oil to build up under the valve cover and starve the lower end because it can't drain back quick enough. Three under-engineered items that 80% of the people learn to fix before they created a problem.

Also hope to find an SS turbo sedan for sale. Must have limited slip option. Anywhere in the USA.

Tim Maddox

Last edited by tmaddox; 04-17-2011 at 10:08 PM. Reason: updated info
tmaddox is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 10:50 AM
Forum Regular
 
Impound04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 195
I take it it's a base model neon? what year is it because I haven't had a problem with tail light leakage or known anyone that has. Neon engines do like to move alot under WOT and motor mounts do fail, but put in polyeurathane inserts will fix that for real cheap.
Welcome btw.

2004 Silver SRT4
2006 Laser Blue Cobalt LS
Impound04 is offline  
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Cobalt Specialist


 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ft. Riley, KS
Posts: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaddox View Post
Greetings to all from Charleston WV. On here to learn more about the common problems and weak links in Cobalts that I should be watching for. For example, I am currently driving a Neon (please hold your applause and/or boos) and most Neon owners know that your tail light gaskets will leak, your motor mounts will fail, and your return oil passages in the head are too small causing oil to build up under the valve cover and starve the lower end because it can't drain back quick enough. Three under-engineered items that 80% of the people learn to fix before they created a problem.

Also hope to find an SS turbo sedan for sale.
Tim
I don't know how much luck you'll have finding a Sedan...I had a hard time finding a SS Coupe. I just picked mine up in Cross Lanes about a month ago...Cobalt SS's main issues are all under warranty...the main things I can think of....key lock cylinder, power steering, charge pipe...I went from a 60,000 mile base sedan to my 30,000 mile SS and I'm not really having any problems, nor did I on my other Cobalt...

goodluck with the search and welcome to YC,

-Duffy

2008 Black Cobalt LT Sedan - SOLD
2009 Rally Yellow Cobalt SS/TC Coupe - SOLD
2002 Alpine White Impreza WRX - CURRENT
USAMPDUFFY is offline  
 
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 05:49 PM
423
Cobalt Specialist
 
423's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kilmarnock, VA
Posts: 1,060
Welcome to YC.... I like the sedan.. the way to go in my opinion.

423


If You're SCARED... SAY You're SCARED...
423 is offline  
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impound04 View Post
I take it it's a base model neon? what year is it because I haven't had a problem with tail light leakage or known anyone that has. Neon engines do like to move alot under WOT and motor mounts do fail, but put in polyeurathane inserts will fix that for real cheap.
Welcome btw.
No its a 98 ACR - Actually the tail light problem was more prevalent with the second generation. I did put in prothane motor mount inserts (in new stock mounts) and a new Mopar performance bobble strut. Also, rear brakes (non-ABS cars) grab too much under autocross and track conditions, and short of installing a manual proportioning valve, everyone puts high performance pads on the front with organic stock pads on the back to deal with that. I doubt a Cobalt would have that problem, but those are the little things you learn after a while.

---------- Post added at 04:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAMPDUFFY View Post
Cobalt SS's main issues are all under warranty.. power steering..
goodluck with the search and welcome to YC,
-Duffy

Thanks Duffy - didn't the power steering get revised with the 2008 models?
I thought most of the issues and recalls were for 2006-2007
tmaddox is offline  
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Newcomer
 
Tommyw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 45
I like the ss sedans as well.. good luck on finding one.

-04 srt-4
-05 cobalt lt
Tommyw is offline  
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 9
how do you find cars and parts for sale on here? Or can't a newbie see that forum?
tmaddox is offline  
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 08:06 AM
Forum Regular
 
Impound04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 195
you have to get your post count above 35 to view and access the marketplace area

2004 Silver SRT4
2006 Laser Blue Cobalt LS
Impound04 is offline  
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 05:10 PM
Get Out The Sawzall
Staff AlumniCobalt Master
 
DROPPEDATBIRTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sewickley, Pa
Posts: 1,856
Garage
DROPPEDATBIRTH is offline  
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impound04 View Post
you have to get your post count above 35 to view and access the marketplace area

Since I have a lot to learn and not much to contribute until I learn more, I read more than post. I don't like to stretch out good discussion threads with a useless "good job!" or "looks sweet", but apparently I have to do that 35 times before I can read what cars are for sale? Seems like there should be a more efficient way to get additional potential buyers access to sellers, and to keep the posts streamlined to only helpful remarks.

I guess its 34 posts left after this one......
tmaddox is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome