Hello! - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
New Member Introductions For new members of YourCobalt.com to introduce themselves!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Hello!

i just purchased a base model 2010 chevy cobalt.

it has manual doorlocks and windows.

my question is, are all the wiring harness's the same?

like would i be able to pull doors off of a cobalt lt with power door locks and windows and plug it in? or would i have to wire them into the car.

thanx!

btw, just moved to WA from CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 01:31 PM
Forum God

I was/am about to do this (probably turbo first lol) you need to find a wiring harness that runs inside the door from an LT or SS model. the wiring harness basically runs from the power window switches to just otside the doors inside the car (under the dash) there's ANOTHER harness that connects to each of the doors' wiring harnesses and leads to the fuse box.

What you would need to do power windows/locks OEM style:

1 power door lock/window switch for EACH door
1 wiring harness for the inside of the door for EACH door
1 power window regulator WITH motor for EACH door
either the stock wiring harness that leads from the back of the fuse box to each door's wiring harness, OR you could just wire that up with your own wiring (which is what I would do)

You don't NEED LT or SS door panels, you could just modify the LS door panels to fit the switches, although the door panel arm rests on the LS are slightly shorter and so the switches would be a bit further back than they would with an LT or SS door panel.

You could find pretty much all these parts online between $300-500 if you look around.

BboyTaktix
- 2011 Plasma Blue pearl WRX STI sedan
- SOLD -S256 TURBO 2.2 -SS/TC body, SS/Tc shocks/struts, B&G springs, 17"mags, TRS FX-R retrofits (50W/6000k)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

i can get all of the parts for free.

is the main harness that goes from the fues box come out of the main fuse box under the hood? or the fuse box by the passenger feet?

im going to take the whole complete door out of an lt model and swap them for my base model doors. same exterior and interior color.

so basicallly all i need is the harness from the fuse box to the doors right?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Forum God

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselman View Post
i can get all of the parts for free.

is the main harness that goes from the fues box come out of the main fuse box under the hood? or the fuse box by the passenger feet?

im going to take the whole complete door out of an lt model and swap them for my base model doors. same exterior and interior color.

so basicallly all i need is the harness from the fuse box to the doors right?
Seriously? Wow you're so lucky! Any chance you could hook me up with free or discounted parts? Like any of the harnesses? lol

The harness that connects to the 2 door harnesses goes to the fuse box inside the car (besides the passenger's feet)
And that is correct, all you would need in this case is the harness that goes from the door harnesses to the car's fuse box under the dash.

Wish I could get all those parts free :(

BboyTaktix
- SOLD -S256 TURBO 2.2 -SS/TC body, SS/Tc shocks/struts, B&G springs, 17"mags, TRS FX-R retrofits (50W/6000k)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

haha, yea. benefits of having friends working at dealerships.

do you have a part number for these harnesses? i might be able to get them for you for fairly cheap.

whats in it for me tho? lol

---------- Post added at 01:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

also, i already have the remote to control the power door locks for the keyless entry, but where is the reciever located in these cars? and am i going to be able to just plug it in? or what am i going to have to do about that....
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 03:18 PM
Forum God

Hmm I haven't found part numbers for the harnesses yet. I'll check gmpartsdirect later to see if I can find it but I don't think they list the harnesses.

As for the receiver, really not sure where it's located. I have an aftermarket alarm and door actuators so I'm good to go in that sense. Can anyone else chime in to help the OP on that?

BboyTaktix
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

did you install the alarm your self?

do you have any wiring diagrams for the car? or know where i can get some?

best buy wants a million dollars (sarcasm) to install one. i installed an alarm on my 87 toyota, so i kno what i am doing, i just need a wiring diagram. and i dont want to short out and modules or anything. haha.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Forum God

Yeah...alarms is the one thing I don't do myself. Actually had one installed by bestbuy and it ****ed up twice. Then finally convinced them to install a 2-way viper alarm (they were against installing viper because they were too 'complicated') they almost ****ed up the viper install...then finally found out that they had a bad ground. Has been working for a year now so hopefully it will continue to work.

Needless to say, I won't be installing anything at best buy ever again. The body shop I go to (friend's brother in law owns it) actually does alarms. I wish I knew at the time, woulda went to them instead!

As for wiring diagrams, I don't have any but someone on here posted a bunch of them but they are various different diagrams. Don't remember the name of the thread though. Try using the search tool.

BboyTaktix
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Nice. Sounds like a nightmare.

So I popped the fuse panel off my base model. And the fuse for power windows and the fuse for the door locks is also in place. Hmmm. So im wondering if I really need the main harness??
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 05:45 AM
Forum God

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselman View Post
Nice. Sounds like a nightmare.

So I popped the fuse panel off my base model. And the fuse for power windows and the fuse for the door locks is also in place. Hmmm. So im wondering if I really need the main harness??
hmm that would be quite interesting. Check the wiring behind those fuse box locations and see if they connect to the current harness that leads to the doors. Let me know, this would make install a ton easier for me and you, as we would basically just have to plug the door harnesses into the original plugs located just inside the doors.

BboyTaktix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode