Hello Cobalt People! - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
New Member Introductions For new members of YourCobalt.com to introduce themselves!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Hello Cobalt People!

Hello, my name is Alan and I just brought home a beautiful imperial blue 09 Cobalt LS last week. I wasn't really looking for one of these, after several small cars over the years I was actually wanting something bigger, more like a Malibu or Impala or something, but my goal was to find something inexpensive that would be easy to finance and reliable enough to last until after its paid off. My dad had an 07 Ion 3, so Im familiar with the basic platform and know how indestructible and low maintenance the ecotec is. I was never too crazy about the handling and performance of the Saturn, and the interior felt kinda flimsy and cheap even though it was the higher trim level. Still when I saw this Cobalt on the lot and it said it only had 33k miles I knew what I had to do. I was amazed at how much more I liked this thing than the Saturn. It handles better, feels more solid, and the interior even seems better despite the manual locks and windows in this one. I was expecting it to be a bit gutless with the 4 speed auto but its far ballsier (ballsyer?) than I thought.
Im glad I found this site, you guys have some awesome cars and a lot of great info here.
Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 05:51 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
Almost a carbon copy of my Cobalt! Mines a coupe, with the 5 speed......treat her nice with proper maintenance and it will give years of enjoyable driving experiences!

2009 Cobalt 5 speed Coupe
35% tints
Imperial Blue Metallic

2001 Chevy S10
Fire engine red
5 speed

2003 Hyundai Elantra GT
5 Speed
Metallic Silver

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Im still impressed by how much personality these things have. Reminds me a lot of a more refined version of my old 89 Beretta GT. Those things were fun with the 2.8 and a 5spd
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 08:55 AM
Expert

Garage
Welcome to the forums!

Yeah, the Cobalt seems to have a lot of character. If you're interested in making it handle like a champ, the FE5 shocks/struts/springs are a direct replacement, and give it a nice increase in handling performance. Of course, there's not much of a reason to do any mods if you're happy with it the way it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thanks for the idea, I like it as it is for the most part, but a few tweaks couldn't hurt. I think I might just do that as time and cash allow. Also does CAI make much difference on these cars? Id like to do some inexpensive bolt on mods like that if its worth it. Im probably not going to do much with the body except maybe headlight upgrade and window tint. I might upgrade the wheels though, maybe keep it somewhat cheap and find some nicer factory wheels (I got steelies). I know some had the 5 lug hubs, could anyone tell me which models to look for that had decent looking factory 4 lugs? Im guessing Cobalts/G5/Ion, but they must have used them on more than that.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 11:44 AM
Expert

Garage
Well, here's a really good thread to start with. I'd also suggest looking through my upgrade thread I made last year. They've both got really good information on bolt ons and what to expect out of them.

This post in particular should be helpful.

As for the CAI, K&N boasts almost 7HP increase, but even if that's true, it's not enough to notice an increase in acceleration. However, it's totally worth it just for the nice sound it makes. Also, if you do plan on doing more bolt ons, having a high flow intake will really help.

For the suspension, the FE5 (Cobalt SS Turbocharged) shocks and struts are actually cheaper than the base model FE3 suspension, so if it's time to service your shocks and struts (around every 50000 miles or so), then it might be worth it to pick up those and some new springs. The FE5 springs would be a decent match, but you might also consider SSC or CM springs. SSC can be found at ZZPerformance.com and canuckmotorsports.com has the CM springs. If you do get FE5 shocks and struts, be sure to get either the FE5 springs, or some decent quality lowering springs. From what I've heard, the stock base model springs tend to wear the FE5 shocks and struts pretty quickly.

EDIT: Almost forgot about the wheels. Some of the Cobalt LT's had 16 inch alloy wheels with a 4 lug pattern. However, any aftermarket wheels with a 4x100 lug pattern and the same offset (I don't know the number for this one. Maybe MP81, PJ, or RRob could help out?) would work. Just make sure that whatever tires you get are relatively close to stock size. You can use this website to compare the size of your stock tires (probably 195/65R15) to new tires.

https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/eng...-mod-list.html

Parthros Engine Upgrade List Summary

Tire Size Calculator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...

Last edited by Parthros; 01-04-2016 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Adding info
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Wow thanks! That saves a lot of searching. Looks like theres some good basic options for these things
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 01:29 AM
Gold Sponsors
YourCobalt.com Authorized VendorForum Regular

Welcome to the forum, Alan! Glad to have you here. Pictures of your car are always good when a new person joins us. Sounds like you have a beautiful Cobalt. May it provide unlimited fun and unhampered travel across all terrains for as long as you two are together. Enjoy the time behind its wheel!

Chevy Cobalt http://www.carid.com/chevy-cobalt-accessories/
Call Toll Free: 800.505.3274 | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Welcome to the nicest online Cobalt community in the solar system. Parthros pretty much covered the basics, so I'll say this. The Cobalt is a perfect blank canvas for which to paint. On it's own it's got some pretty potent motors for the class, excellent reliability (recalls aside) and when something does go wrong, parts are cheap and plentiful, and often times, repairs/mods can be DIY'd easily regardless of mechanical experience. There are so many things you can do to make your car unique, so really the sky is the limit, but your budget doesn't have to be. If you have any specific questions, I or many others here will be willing to answer them as best we can. Good luck and happy modding.

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode