Greetings from CT - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
New Member Introductions For new members of YourCobalt.com to introduce themselves!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Garage
Greetings from CT

Just wanted to stop by and introduce my newbie self.

I grew up loving Chevrolets. I lusted over the old muscle cars, thanks in part to my gear-head father. My dream car growing up was a '88 Monte Carlo SS Aero. As I came of age to get my license and purchase my first car, I knew I wanted a Chevrolet. My heart was set on some powerhouse, but my ma had me settle for a '96 Cavalier LS coupe. And that is when the bug bit me. Small cars with the potential of being quick and nimble. I was forever under the hood of that Cavalier, trying to learn how to make it faster. Of course, as a teenager, you're not really smart and I didn't even know the world of Google. For me, it was tagging along with my Honda friends, watching what they did, and copying them. I was the only Chevy in a sea of Hondas. In 2004, I caught sight of my first Cobalt SS. Sunburst Orange. The curves, spoiler, and wheels had me hooked like a tracker beam. I had to have a Sunburst Orange SS. Along came the Fast & Furious franchise, and suddenly, my Cavalier was looking more like a ricer then what I envisioned. The loud annoying exhaust, flashy lights, abnormally large body kits that just never seem to fit properly. That Cavalier lasted me through my teenage years, and then it was scrapped to a small racing company who turned it into a autocross car.

I left Chevrolet afterwards, bouncing around in some Hondas, Fords, and other GMs. Eventually, I found myself in a K5 Blazer, and I remembered why I loved Chevrolet so much. Reliability. This old beast NEVER died. It ended up being traded for an old square body Suburban K2500, which rusted to pieces, but still ran and drove like new.

Flash forward to my adult years. I financed my first car, a beautiful Imperial Blue Metallic 2006 Chevrolet Impala LTZ. And suddenly Sunburst Orange took a backseat. There was just something about that color blue. It was desirable, like a teenage pimple faced boy looking at his first dirty mag. I bought the Impala, affectionately named Selene, in 2011. I took her everywhere, and for a big car, she was such a road hugger. Unfortunately, she wasn't big in the modifying department. Basic bolt-ons, some nice wheels, suspension upgrades, but that's about it. My fiance ended up taking over the driving rights of that car, so I was in the market for my old little project. I came across my LS on my way home from work one day. She was sitting in a used car lot, and she was in rough shape. Cracked windshield, smashed headlight, dings and dents. A plain Jane LS, no frills attached. But she was a five-speed, something I had been missing for a long time. I walked in, asked about it, and the saleman looked surprised. There were no inquiries for the Cobalt. Mainly, he said, because it was a five-speed. Well, after some not-so-hard negotiation, I walked away with my Blurple LS, named Veronica, for pocket change. Blurple came from my fiance, when she first saw the Cobalt. She said it looked like blue-purple, Blurple.

I immediately wanted to see if the LSJ FI could be converted over to my L61. I Googled it, and came across this site. So, that is how I came about here. There are some good write-ups on what I'm looking to do with Veronica.

My plans for my Cobalt are pretty simple. I am a simple guy on the exterior. Gone are the days of obnoxious body kits, fart cans, and flashy lights. I plan on doing a full respray of a two-tone, Onyx Black over Dark Silver Metallic. I found that I like the SS front bumper more then my boring LS one. I also found a Duraflex hood called the Stinger I like. Other then that, I like rear bumpers that hug the exhaust tip like my 06 Impala does. Definitely want the SS spoiler. Everything else is going to be a properly built SC 2.2, tighten up the suspension, and maybe a few interior upgrades. That's about it. She'll be my daily driver that I can have some fun on the track should I want to get to that moment in my life.

Sorry for the long introduction. If you made it this far, awesome!

Last edited by BlurpleLS; 01-28-2016 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Added Pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Welcome to YC, a tight little community who's love and passion for these cars matchs your own, and I can see these little Chevys are near and dear to you. The good news is that this platform has a wide array of aftermarket available for it from the flash to the fast. Basically, it's a blank canvas that's begging you to paint.

If you're interested in supercharging, the company ZZP sells complete bolt-on kits (and various other goodies) that'll give your car some real power (a Stage 2 should be good for 240whp @ 12psi). Also have a look at suspension upgrades. The most common and probably best is to buy and mount the shocks/struts from the SS turbo (FE5 08-10) and lowering springs of your choice. The SS was built and tuned on the Nurburgring, so you know the hardware is good. Also, take a look at the ZZP midlength header/DP combo. Again, a popular and highly effective mod.

Catbacks only differ by tone, so even a cheap $120 eBay catback will perform just as well as a premium one (I ran a GMPP and it was glorious).

Of course, you'll need a tune to get the most of your mods. Unfortunately for your year, that only leaves you with one option, Trifecta. They'll do some decent work via data logging.

That should covet the basics of the go fast parts. If you have any questions or whatever, feel free to ask.

---------- Post added at 02:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 AM ----------

Btw, I used to own a laser blue '06 LS just like yours. I named her Plain Jane for just that reason lol

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 04:08 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage

One thing you might want to listen for is timing chain rattle when you first start it in the morning. If it still has the original weak design of a tensioner, you may want to replace it with the newer revised version.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Welcome to YC, a tight little community who's love and passion for these cars matchs your own, and I can see these little Chevys are near and dear to you. The good news is that this platform has a wide array of aftermarket available for it from the flash to the fast. Basically, it's a blank canvas that's begging you to paint.

If you're interested in supercharging, the company ZZP sells complete bolt-on kits (and various other goodies) that'll give your car some real power (a Stage 2 should be good for 240whp @ 12psi). Also have a look at suspension upgrades. The most common and probably best is to buy and mount the shocks/struts from the SS turbo (FE5 08-10) and lowering springs of your choice. The SS was built and tuned on the Nurburgring, so you know the hardware is good. Also, take a look at the ZZP midlength header/DP combo. Again, a popular and highly effective mod.

Catbacks only differ by tone, so even a cheap $120 eBay catback will perform just as well as a premium one (I ran a GMPP and it was glorious).

Of course, you'll need a tune to get the most of your mods. Unfortunately for your year, that only leaves you with one option, Trifecta. They'll do some decent work via data logging.

That should covet the basics of the go fast parts. If you have any questions or whatever, feel free to ask.

---------- Post added at 02:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 AM ----------

Btw, I used to own a laser blue '06 LS just like yours. I named her Plain Jane for just that reason lol
Thank you for the input! That's a good starting list. I'll check into it all. I definitely want to run a supercharger, so this is a great list to help me out.

I never knew the SS suspension was tuned on the Nurburgring. Here I was looking to go outside of GMPP parts. I think I'll stick with the SS suspension.

I do have one question that's been bothering me. I haven't been able to locate the thread for it, but I'm sure it's been asked. I have a four-lug setup. I would like to change it over to the five-lug SS setup. Is that possible, or more a pain in the bottom then it's worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post

One thing you might want to listen for is timing chain rattle when you first start it in the morning. If it still has the original weak design of a tensioner, you may want to replace it with the newer revised version.
As far as I know, I am the second owner and nothing has been done outside of the regular maintenance. I'll look into this, though. Thank you for the heads up!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 04:02 PM
Forum Regular

Welcome to the balt forums, I've actually read your full post it was a good read. It's funny how you mentioned wanting a Sunburst SS because that's also what I want hah. I've got myself a Sunburst 2006 LS given to me from my grandmother when I graduated. I'm no longer a teen but a young adult over the years I've been more and more involved with cars. But I've always loved Tuners / Street style. My goal is to make my LS into a showcar or if I can afford it, to buy a SS and start from that. So far I've done alot to my LS recently I got a set of headers installed. Here's some photos so you get the idea of my progress. I tend to post on this forum from time to time as well. Look forward seeing your progress of your balt!

PS: I'm also looking for an SS front bumper... I hate the LS stock...

Last photo is most recent photo (after the snowfall)

Sunburst Orange 2006 LS Cobalt 2.2L Halo Projector LED lights Exterior/Interior, Xentec (HID kit / 8000K ), Smoked lights, Decals, K&N 69-4515TS Typhoon cold air intake system, 2.2L DOHC Tsudo N1 catback exhaust, Blacked out badges, 35% Window tint, 2" B&G Lowering Springs, DC Strut Bar, Rear Tow Hook, Painted Calipers/ Wheel drum, OBX Header, Areospeed Orange Lugnuts, Black Maxxim Air Rims, Sony CDXGT565UP Car Stereo Receiver with USB Input and Pandora Control
A lot still in progress...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Garage
She's beautiful, SlyFox ... Looks good so far. I'm looking to get a set of new tail lights next, but I'm looking for a specific set. So far, no luck on the exact image in my head. I like the GT-R looking taillights, but want more of a solid LED ring with both the inner and outer units having them, and sequential turn signals.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 09:07 AM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlurpleLS View Post
She's beautiful, SlyFox ... Looks good so far. I'm looking to get a set of new tail lights next, but I'm looking for a specific set. So far, no luck on the exact image in my head. I like the GT-R looking taillights, but want more of a solid LED ring with both the inner and outer units having them, and sequential turn signals.
Thanks! much appreciated Yes, she's came a long way and still more I want to customize and upgrade. I was looking for the same type awhile ago! I love the GTR look with solid LED rings... but I went for the closet I could get.

Sunburst Orange 2006 LS Cobalt 2.2L Halo Projector LED lights Exterior/Interior, Xentec (HID kit / 8000K ), Smoked lights, Decals, K&N 69-4515TS Typhoon cold air intake system, 2.2L DOHC Tsudo N1 catback exhaust, Blacked out badges, 35% Window tint, 2" B&G Lowering Springs, DC Strut Bar, Rear Tow Hook, Painted Calipers/ Wheel drum, OBX Header, Areospeed Orange Lugnuts, Black Maxxim Air Rims, Sony CDXGT565UP Car Stereo Receiver with USB Input and Pandora Control
A lot still in progress...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
colodude18 has some interesting ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-bcevXwRps

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyFox View Post
Thanks! much appreciated Yes, she's came a long way and still more I want to customize and upgrade. I was looking for the same type awhile ago! I love the GTR look with solid LED rings... but I went for the closet I could get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
colodude18 has some interesting ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-bcevXwRps
I spoke to colodude18 after doing a search on here and found his YouTube channel. Those were what I envisioned in my head. So, I'm going to get some bills taken care of, and then get me my own set from him.

The Garage:

2007 Laser Blue Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2.2 / DT Motorsports black smoked OEM-style headlights / 6000k 55W HIDs

2006 Imperial Blue Metallic Chevrolet Impala LTZ 3.9 / way too many mods to list

2013 Freightliner Columbia / 6000k 55W HIDs / full LED bulb conversion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode