Salutations - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
New Member Introductions For new members of YourCobalt.com to introduce themselves!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
Thumbs up Salutations

Hello!

I have gleaned a lot of really useful info from this site in the past few weeks, so I thank you all (current and past) members for that.

I recently worked a deal out with my ex-wife to obtain the Cobalt we bought brand new in 2007. It's a base LS model, in the champagne/almond color combo.

When we bought it new, I learned a lot (probably from here amongst other sources) in order to take care of it as I barely made $30k a year and had a brand new baby. I have learned a lot about this car, but still find myself needing more info from time to time. I am not a mechanic, only a hobbyist.

I am an IT by trade, so my knowledge-forte is in network/email/desktop/server administration and support.

My name is Jeremy, I am 30 years old and father of one.

I am in the process of trying to restore the Cobalt, hence-to-forth referred to by her nicknames of either "Cobyashi Maru" or "Coby-Jack".

I have a ton of pictures of the neglect she suffered in the past ~3 years since I separated from my ex and the process of getting her re-habbed that I can post at a later date.

Current issues I am addressing:

- DIRTY! I have completely ripped out all of the interior plastic, seats, etc. I am going to pull the carpet this weekend and try to de-stain it with a combo of a pressure washer and steam cleaner, since new carpet inserts are apparently ~$140
- CEL ; This is due to a massive hole in the flange / flex pipe. I have a new one being shipped already and should arrive on Saturday. Will be removing the old one and replacing it with the new one then. In the meantime, she is definitely an attention getter with her exhaust noise
- Stereo ; Since I have it gutted, this is a great opportunity to wire in a new head-unit, speakers, and subs. The new 'system' is nothing fancy, but will be better than the current stock option (with dead front door speakers).
- Door locks ; One of the 'knobs' on the visible part of the lock snapped off on the driver door. This makes it impossible to grab and unlock when you're in the car. I found replacements online for cheap so I will grab those and get that done - The passenger back door doesn't actually lock. It goes through the "motions" and even makes the noise, but it can still be opened. I will address this when I have the door panels off for cleaning
- Seatbelts ; The car was in a minor accident, but it managed to lock the seatbelts. I have already unbolted the old ones, and have replacements from a salvage yard. Unfortunately, the replacements are grey and not almond, but they serve their purpose and it doesn't bother me that much.

There are other minor things I will be doing (new tires, suspension, etc), but that will be later once it's running and all codes/errors are gone and it's a "functional" vehicle again.

I got it from her for ~$1000 (or rather, I agreed to let her fore-go making any additional payments for kiddo's private school tuition for the rest of the school year as a trade, which equals about $1,120). So I have no cash invested into it other than the parts I've purchased already and what I paid for it when we first bought it.

It has almost 107k (106,9xx).

Anyway. That's me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
Thanks!

I've seen you post in a lot of the threads I've read for info lately. The search function in vB leaves a lot to be desired (i end up getting the same results for a lot of different queries), but I have managed to find quite a bit of info, and a lot of it came from your posts!

I'd like to start a single thread to show the rehab, where would the best section be for that?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Vehicle show off if you have big plans.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 02:27 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
Welcome this site is addictive with tons of quality information and some really good people wanting to help I'm looking forward to following the progress on your cobalt
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
Quote:
Vehicle show off if you have big plans.
It would be an ongoing WIP (work in progress)..

Not really "big plans" other than to rehab it.. at least initially.

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque View Post
Welcome this site is addictive with tons of quality information and some really good people wanting to help I'm looking forward to following the progress on your cobalt
Hey thanks!

I am a part of a lot of forums, and I find they are still a great way to connect and share info (as opposed to "Social media").

I just got all the pictures from the fiance' on a thumb drive, so I will head over and start that thread now

-J
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
New rehab thread started in the "Showroom" sub-forum.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 01:40 PM
Contributor

Garage
another option ive heard of for the stained floors is dying them, im a member on a cherokee forum and there is a thread about re dying the carpet because of stains, if you want i can try and find the thread if you think its worth it. you might be able to do them grey since you have grey seats and seat belts now lol!

The Land Shark is coming for you!

Quote:
His iron was too hot and to big.
Bone stock 2006 Cobalt LS Laser Blue

https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...ml#post1340434
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple_man View Post
another option ive heard of for the stained floors is dying them, im a member on a cherokee forum and there is a thread about re dying the carpet because of stains, if you want i can try and find the thread if you think its worth it. you might be able to do them grey since you have grey seats and seat belts now lol!
Hey that might be a good option, if the pressure washer + Steam cleaning doesn't work.

Only the front belts and rear bench are grey. The rear backrests (the fold-downs) and the front seats are still orginal. I was able to steam-clean them to a reasonable clean-ness (way better than they were).

Thanks!!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 01:50 PM
Contributor

Garage
here is this guys post, he basically got a tub put hot water and dye in it and then put the carpet in to soak for about 20 hours, then washed it with cold water and hung it to dry, he used RIT dye

Thought i'd share the new rig.. - Page 6 - NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association

Rit Liquid Dye Navy - Walmart.com

they have dye at walmart for like $3 it says

The Land Shark is coming for you!

Quote:
His iron was too hot and to big.
Bone stock 2006 Cobalt LS Laser Blue

https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...ml#post1340434
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version