Hello from Michigan - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
New Member Introductions For new members of YourCobalt.com to introduce themselves!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Hello from Michigan

Hello all, I'm from Adrian MI and I just got a new toy, 2009 Pontiac G5. I know it isn't a cobalt, but it sort of is Most of the G5 forums I found are pretty dead and not very active, so you are just going to have to put up with me here I guess. Here a few pics of her.

78,000 miles on it and it looks like new inside and out. The headlights and tail lights are not even fogged over, they look like they just came out of the box.

Its bone stock except for a new battery. It has a 2.2L, 4 speed auto, fog lights, power sun roof, premium pioneer sound, air con and 15 inch steel wheels. It doesn't have any traction control, rear disk brakes, cruise control or any of that stuff. I don't know of the pin stripes are stock or not. If not they did damn good job of putting them on. Kind of odd options really if you think about it. Has interior and exterior appearance options, sun roof, stereo, auto trans, but it doesn't have cruise control or upgraded wheels lol.

According the RPO code it has the "soft ride suspension". If this is a soft ride I don't want to feel the stiff version! I read some reviews that talked about them not handling well and having a lot of body roll. Not mine, I think handles just fine for what it is and I don't feel any body roll under normalish cornering. Maybe my suspension was upgraded somewhere down the road, or the people reviewing the car just expected too much out of pontiacs base line economy car offering?

This is what I would like to do to it.

Lowered suspension, 17 inch wheels, custom exhaust, CAI, rear disk brakes, sway bars and a new sound system.......

Just kidding lol. I probably won't do anything to it. It just seems too clean to mess with. And I am almost 50 so hopping up a 4 cyl pontiac just doesn't appeal to me. I may throw a glass pack on it because it is just too quiet as is. And I may upgrade the stereo because honestly for a "premium" sound system I am not overly impressed. It sounds ok, and I could probably live with it, but the stock stereo in our Mazda just blows this thing away. Even the stock stereo in my 2001 sebring coupe sounded better than this does.

I may tweak the air intake a bit too. I won't do full on replacement CAI though. They just are not worth the money in my opinion. I will probably leave the stock air box on it, but replace the lower and upper tubing getting rid of the resonators.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 07:08 PM
Cobalt Master

Welcome to the forums! Im from michigan as well, up in the tip of the thumb. And G5s are more than welcome or they would have run me out of here 3 years ago haha. And whatever you decide to do as far as mods or anything we are here to help! CAI's are kinda expensive new but you can find them used for a good deal, bought my injen for 100 shipped and sold it local for 100 after I went supercharged.
By the way, love the color!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I was looking at the intake system the other day and it looks fairly easy to mod so I might take a stab at that first. If not I will probably go with some cheap SRI just for the sound. Not sure for exhaust yet either. I like to hear my cars, but I don't want it to sound like a bunch of pissed off bumble bees stuck in a vacuum cleaner either lol. I managed to get my neon sounding pretty good and it had a similar sized engine in it.

I would like to get rid of some of that wheel gap but I really don't know if I want to mess with the suspension geometry. And am probably an odd ball in that if I mess with the wheels I will probably try to fit 14's instead of larger wheels. Living in Michigan I am sure you know smaller rims and some all season winter tires makes much more sense. Our normal weather is mostly rain and snow mixed with a few nice days in between lol. And 14 inch tires are cheaper too. My 2001 sebring coupe had 17's and tires were not what I would call affordable.

Dude, love those headlights by the way. And I thought all American G5's were coupes, how did you get a sedan?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 07:59 PM
Cobalt Master

If you want to close up the wheel gap, stock fe5 suspension off the 08-10 ss bolts right on and lowers it slightly and improves handling quite nicely, or there are quite a few aftermarket springs depending on how low you want to go and how much you care about handling. And as far as wheels I'm sure you could probably fit 14s if you want to, seemed to be quite a bit of room between the brakes and the stock 15s
My car has 17s on it, then again I never drove it in the winter so I just have some summer performance tires on it. I prefer to be in something with 4 wheel drive for winter.
And thanks! Built them myself but never again haha way too much money into that set, and the dealership I got her from bought her from canada, no 4 door G5s were sold new in the states but they can be brought over no problem.
Oh, and speaking of 01 sebring's that's what I spent most of the day working on haha, had to redo the brakes on my sister in laws car
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I swear to god I was the only male that owned a sebring coupe lol. Loved that car though, 5 speed manual with a 3.0 V-6.

I was reading in the suspension section fe5 suspension was fairly popular, that is probably the route I will go when it needs new parts.

Out of curiosity, will the 15 inch steel rims accept standard wheel covers or is some kind of odd ball design?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 08:42 PM
Cobalt Master

Well the sebring is my sister in laws and it's a sedan, you might still be the only male with a sebring couple haha
And I'm pretty sure you can use regular hub caps but not positive
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 04:50 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Welcome from Michigan, as well!

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 07:17 AM
Expert

Garage
BOOO!!! Get out of our Cobalt forums you G5 heathans!

For real though, welcome to the forums!

If you decide to go with a custom short ram intake, I'd suggest looking into the ZZP parts. You can get their "high flow intake tube" and a K&N drop in filter and have effectively the same thing as a K&N short ram intake.

And as long as you're doing that, you might want to remove the "air silencer." It's tucked away in the passenger side bumper. There's a plastic arm that connects it to the frame that I just took a hacksaw to so I wouldn't have to remove the bumper.

ZZP High Flow Intake Tube
K&N Direct Replacement Filter

The general recommendation for exhaust is ZZP midlength header & downpipe with a ZZP catback. If you're worried more about sound than performance, just get the catback. It'll sound nice, and won't be too loud. Getting the header & downpipe makes it scream a bit more.

ZZP Midlength Header & Downpipe
ZZP 2.5" Catback

If you're looking to get rid of the wheel gap, RRob's suggestion is solid. I've been running the FE5 (Cobalt SS/TC) struts and shocks with Canuck Motorsport springs for a few months and I've been loving it. It's not so stiff that it's uncomfortable, but also handles like a champ. If you do decide to lower it, upgrading the struts and shocks are a must. The stock "soft" ones will blow out real quick on lowering springs.

Driver Side Strut
Passenger Side Strut
Shocks
Canuck Motorsport Springs

And to give you an idea of what it'd look like on Canuck Motorsport springs (tires are 225/45R17):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Parthos, thanks for all the information but unfortunately it is probably wasted on me. Expensive intakes, cat back exhausts, headers and lowering kits really don't hold much interest for me. And I have a severe dislike for K&N, I can't believe they have not been sued yet. It has been proven time and time again that their products not only don't have better flow, in some cases they are worse than a stock paper filter. However they do make decent off road filters.

This car is my daily driver so I want it to be dependable, inexpensive to keep up and have it last for a long time. While I am not overly thrilled with the amount of wheel gap this car has, it is probably there for a reason. And where I live there are lots of dirt roads, pot holes, speed bumps and other things where a little suspension travel might be a good thing. If I want a project I would probably look for another Opel GT, 280z or mustang.

Not that I have anything against someone tricking out there little G5 or Cobalt. If someone wants to drop the money into their car and it makes them happy more power to them. But for me personally I am getting a bit old and I have been there and done that. This car will probably be lucky if it ever sees more than 80 MPH.

If I spend any kind of serious money on this car it will probably be on the sound system and navigation. I am willing to bet I can get the sound I want by removing the intake resonators and swapping out the muffler. I know it won't make it any faster, but I am fine with that. I kind of like the 35 mile to the gallon it gets.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 09:48 AM
Expert

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmohr View Post
Parthos, thanks for all the information but unfortunately it is probably wasted on me. Expensive intakes, cat back exhausts, headers and lowering kits really don't hold much interest for me. And I have a severe dislike for K&N, I can't believe they have not been sued yet. It has been proven time and time again that their products not only don't have better flow, in some cases they are worse than a stock paper filter. However they do make decent off road filters.

This car is my daily driver so I want it to be dependable, inexpensive to keep up and have it last for a long time. While I am not overly thrilled with the amount of wheel gap this car has, it is probably there for a reason. And where I live there are lots of dirt roads, pot holes, speed bumps and other things where a little suspension travel might be a good thing. If I want a project I would probably look for another Opel GT, 280z or mustang.

Not that I have anything against someone tricking out there little G5 or Cobalt. If someone wants to drop the money into their car and it makes them happy more power to them. But for me personally I am getting a bit old and I have been there and done that. This car will probably be lucky if it ever sees more than 80 MPH.

If I spend any kind of serious money on this car it will probably be on the sound system and navigation. I am willing to bet I can get the sound I want by removing the intake resonators and swapping out the muffler. I know it won't make it any faster, but I am fine with that. I kind of like the 35 mile to the gallon it gets.
Just tryin' to give you all the relevant info on how to achieve the goals you listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmohr View Post
I was looking at the intake system the other day and it looks fairly easy to mod so I might take a stab at that first. If not I will probably go with some cheap SRI just for the sound. Not sure for exhaust yet either. I like to hear my cars, but I don't want it to sound like a bunch of pissed off bumble bees stuck in a vacuum cleaner either lol. I managed to get my neon sounding pretty good and it had a similar sized engine in it.

I would like to get rid of some of that wheel gap but I really don't know if I want to mess with the suspension geometry. And am probably an odd ball in that if I mess with the wheels I will probably try to fit 14's instead of larger wheels. Living in Michigan I am sure you know smaller rims and some all season winter tires makes much more sense. Our normal weather is mostly rain and snow mixed with a few nice days in between lol. And 14 inch tires are cheaper too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode