New to This - Stereo Issue - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
New Member Introductions For new members of YourCobalt.com to introduce themselves!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

New to This - Stereo Issue

Hey everyone, I'm Jeff live in Oshawa. I'm new to the forum stuff so I'm not to sure how to go abouts this lol. I have a 2007 cobalt ss 2.4, nothin special like the turbos or sc.
Anyways I'm having radio problems. I baught the car and it had a smashed radio, screen cracked and sounds like a shattered cd shaking around inside of it...
So i baught a replacement radio off somone from kijiji.. The exact same plugins buttons and screen, the only difrence is the new one i baught is black and my original broken one is silver.
I plug the new black one in and nothing turns on. I can put a cd in and out but the screen stays off, no sounds, no door chimes, nothing like that. I can hit the display button or clock button and the display lights up the time for 5secs then shuts off.
So I guess my question is if the screen was smashed in could that have unplugged somthing else or wiggled somthing loose somewhere other then the back of the stereo itself?
If so where should I check... I really would prefer not to take it in somewhere if theres a connection I could be looking for.. I have also checked the RDO fuse, if anything else anyone can advise would be great!!
Nice to meet you all
Jeff
(ps... sorry if this is posted in the wrong spot)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 08:29 PM
Expert

Garage
First of all, welcome to the forums!

Secondly, I'm not certain it'll fix your issue, but I think I remember hearing that a dealer has to "unlock" the radio for it to work. Might be worth looking into.

Finally, either the Audio/Video or the Problems and Service forums would be more appropriate for your issue, but posting in the "correct" forum isn't enforced anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Hey! nice to meet you.. Thanks for the advice, I'm definetly going to try a few things tomorrow before bringing it somewhere. It was getting dark when I got the new radio home and hooked it up. All I know is that the radio I baught screen will light up so I'm fairly certain it isn't the radio itself, and as for being locked, when I push the display button key on/off the time will show up but doesn't say locked anywhere on the screen, and also the cd ejects and loads but nothing else.

I beleive the previous owner must of smashed it with somthing or punched it because its screen is shattered and theres alot of somthing inside that shakes around.. (assuming its a shattered cd) which leads me to believe impact knocked somthing loose in deeper inside the dash... (a ground or somthing maybe? Location?) I just assumed get a new radio and plug it in should work so I wasn't to worried about it till now.

Maybe its not even a cobalt radio that I baught for all I know... its identical though (harness plugs in exactly and antenna) it was only 30$ so not a big deal either way.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
It will need to be married to the other CPUs for it to work. If you know somebody with a TechII they can do it for you.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode